what is the easiest way to potty train?

My son is about 16 months and well at night his diaper isn't really wet and that is when I was told to start potty training. But my nephew who is 2 1/2 is having real trouble. My sister in law is letting him just be naked and hopefully he will tell her when he needs to go. I hope it isn't that hard and dirty

bonohexum

Asked by bonohexum at 5:52 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Being dry at night (or for 3 hours in the day) is a sign that he is capable of holding his pee. That means he has one of the physical requirements of taking over his potty duties. But that doesn't mean he is ready to learn the whole process.
    What's the easiest?
    From what I've seen and read:
    (1) The naked approach. The kid can see the pee, learns that a puddle has to be cleaned up, and learns that mommy is happy when he is whisked off to the potty and a small amount of pee ends up in it. It helps them make the connection between "doing that puddle making thing" and "doing it in the potty". If you don't watch and get them to the potty when they start to go, it's pointless. If the child is ready to learn, it only takes a few puddles.
    (2) The crash course. This works for 2.5 and up. Load up on salty snacks and sweet drinks all day and stay close to the potty.
    Either one requires months of follow up work by mom.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:31 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• look for this DVD called "once upon a Potty for boys" so far it has worked on my girl, the have one for girls as well lol, I do believe it can work on you little one =-) try finding it first on your library that way you don't ahve to spend money one it as well =-D
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 6:44 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I agree with kaycee14. We started potty training when DD was 15 months. She is now 19 months a completely potty trained. I really liked the naked way. It does take a lot more work from you. You will need to remember to put LO on the potty periodically (about every 1/2 hour). You can also monitor what they drink. Give them a big drink of water and then put them on the potty soon after. Also, you will probably notice they go #2 about the same time everyday. Around this time, put them on the potty. Oh and whenever you put them on the potty, give LO a little treat like a cracker or little cookie and read a book, turn on the tv, whatever will keep them there. When they make it in the potty, make a big deal of it. Sing songs, give them a treat (we did 1 chocolate chip), etc. When they don't make it, don't get made. Just say something like "We don't go potty on the floor. Only in the potty."

Good luck!
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 2:40 AM on Feb. 11, 2009