Real mamas who lost 40+ lbs I need help!

I'm trying to lose 45-50 lbs but in the past year I've only lost 10. I want to hear how you've kept your motivation and what type of exercise you did to lose the weight.

vjoaquin

Asked by vjoaquin at 12:47 AM on Oct. 28, 2012 in Diet & Fitness

• I lost my weight walking. It really does work.

I'd make dinner for the family and while they ate, I walked. It didn't matter what the weather was, I was out there. I also signed myself up for organized events, had to pay for those, so it kept me motivated to to it.

PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:51 AM on Oct. 28, 2012

• I just lost 35 lbs. I cut my diet drastically to 1500 calories a day, walked every single morning, made my biggest meal breakfast and my lightest meal dinner.

It's a total lifestyle change for me now. I can't imagine not walking every day
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 12:56 AM on Oct. 28, 2012

• eat less, exercise more and more and more. drink tons of water. bend at the knees everytime you bend over. put every muscle possible into everything you do- including vacuuming and mopping and cleaning the counters.

People say they don't have time to work out- but really anything you do can be a workout.

I tracked calories with myfitnesspal.com

I was down to 118 when I got pregnant again, so I'll be back to the exercising in a few months.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:57 AM on Oct. 28, 2012

• i had a profile pic of me sitting at a picnic table posted on my fridge
    my gut was as large as my ass
    true motivation- seeing yourself the way everyone else sees you :( i lost a person after i saw that pic (size 22 to 12)
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:57 AM on Oct. 28, 2012

• Weight watchers helped me A LOT! It made it easy to shop, and its not so much eating less, it making good choices. I lost 150 lbs in about 3 yrs. And like others have said, make everything a work out so to speak. When shopping, park further out., But when you do exercise, keep the heat rate up! When you do so, that is when you burn the most calories. My best advice to you is if you are serious about losing thr weight, go find a personal trainer, make sure of the credentials. Another one I did when I first started was I found a nutritionist and a doctor who helped me the first year. They helped me figure out how many calories I needed to eat and still lose weight. Depending on heavy you are, I was 300 lbs. I dropped a TON of weight in the first 6 months! Like 90 lbs! But if you are not that heavy, you will not lost that much in a short time. Then you have the 'plateau effect' Its when you suddenly seem to stop losing weight.,
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:38 AM on Oct. 28, 2012

• Here is the formula I used to figure out what intensity to work out..The basic way to calculate your maximum heart rate is to take 220 minus your age. For example, I a 38 years old, subtract 38 from 220, to get a maximum heart rate of 182. This is the maximum number of times my heart should beat per a minute while I am exercising. Once you know your maximum heart rate, you can calculate your desired target heart rate zone — the level at which your heart is being exercised and conditioned but not overworked. Working out within your target heart rate zone gives you the best results for burning fat and losing weight. If you work out below that zone, you reduce your exercise intensity, and you may not burn as many calories. If you work out above that zone, you may not be able to work out as long as you planned. Of course, you should aslo talk to your doc too!!
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:46 AM on Oct. 28, 2012

• I have lost a lot of weight by cutting my portions and walking I also do Krav Maga, Muay Thai and Aikido. Power 90 is awesome to get you started as for motivation try spark people it gives you a daily goal for food and water as well exercise.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:31 AM on Oct. 28, 2012

• I eat clean and exercise. Staying motivated IS the hardest part- but when you're truly ready, it happens. I had to hit rock bottom before I was ready to lose the weight.
    I love to run, strength train, bike, swim, trail run, hike, all kinds of stuff. Mixing up my workouts keeps it fun. Find what you enjoy doing. But remember that weight loss is 80% food intake. Those are the choices that make the biggest difference.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:30 AM on Oct. 28, 2012

• Sad to say, I started with Body By Vi. That gave me a jump start both with losing a few lbs & giving me some energy, so I was able to start walking my kids to school. I also cut out pop and was forcing myself to drink 100oz of water every day. I didn't give anything up - still ate chocolate, carbs, etc, just cut back on how much I was eating. Started eating more fresh fruits & veggies. I quit the BBV after a while, but continued to drop lbs because I had started and continued walking, I moved a few things in my house which forced me to get up and move around more often while I was doing lazy stuff (computer work, tv time, etc). Dropping pants sizes and bra sizes (mine are huge and causing problems) was the biggest motivation to keep going!
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 12:08 PM on Oct. 28, 2012

• Oh - I also started eating breakfast instead of skipping - a couple of scrambled eggs & whole wheat toast or a big bowl of oatmeal, both with an apple - that has been a huge thing for me, I definitely eat less through the day when I eat breakfast!
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 12:09 PM on Oct. 28, 2012