She's too attached!!!! How can I get her to go to other people???

My baby is now 7 months and she is a very happy baby. However when we are at other people's houses she will only let me or my husband hold her. If someone even talks to her she crys! This hurts me physically and emotionally. Also it hurts our loved ones. Anyone have this problem? Any solutions or advice out there???

melk819

Asked by melk819 at 6:13 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies have separation anxiety. My suggestion is to be patient with her and when she is ready to be held by someone else, she'll let you know.
    Lainee21106

Answer by Lainee21106 at 6:19 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• This is very, very common. The only way is to respect her fears and go with what she needs. As she starts crawling, playing, etc, you can put her on the floor and sit next to her. Your family members can sit nearby and you can work them into the play. Or you can sit her on your lap and have the family member hold a favorite book while you read and the family member makes comments. Over time, she will associate these people with these fun things.
    But always respect her wishes. They are adults and can handle stress and fear. She is a baby (or toddler) and can't. Tell them so.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:20 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• my dd does the same thing! i just sit with whoever is holding her and talk o her calmly and tell her shes ok. and if it doesnt work i just take her back...i dont wanna her to be scared of people!
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 6:22 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• did you start out with her going to other people.. our boy is so use to " the extended family" funny though.. when im alone with him if i leave the room he fusses and cries.. but i can take him to ballys with me, drop him off with the day care girls and he's totally fine.. i think it has to do with not only her anxiety but yours... if you dont trust people, or think people will not be just like you in handling certain situations, she is going to sense that.. sit next to some one and have them hold their arms out and reaffirm to her that "uncle bob" is great.. and hug him, so she knows that its ok.. you are her example... all babies go thru this anxiety... so far our son did a bit of it at 5 months but it went away quickly
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 6:22 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Babies start having "stranger danger" around 6 mos. Up until this point, she has been content to let anyone handle her, maybe, but now she has learned who her parents are and who is not. This is perfectly normal. Tell your friends/family that it's a stage, and normal development at this point, and not to take it personally (and you either). You need to make her feel as safe and secure as possible, but before you turn around, she'll be exerting her independence, wanting away from you to explore, and you'll think, "she doesn't like me anymore"! Parenting, the most rewarding/challenging job on earth! You aren't doing anything wrong, and neither is your family. It will only last a few months, and this too shall pass! Good luck!!!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 6:24 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• This is common fro the age. She will outgrow it. Tell those that are hurt that she's a normal baby and it means NOTHING.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:08 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• It's ridiculous to take something like this personally. People who are "hurt" by it need to get over it. Your baby hasn't even been in this world a year, you are all he knows.

This is a phase that will go away, and then come back, and go away, and maybe even come back again.

My dd got over stranger anxiety at around 1 year, and now at 20 months it's coming back a little, but she just holds my leg and hides, which is very common.

They're just babies, we expect WAY too much from them.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 7:15 PM on Feb. 10, 2009