How did you know you were ready to have your second baby?

My daughter is two...I am a working mom and having one child and being a working mom is so tough, but we make it work! I would love to give my daughter a sibling, because there is no greater gift...I just don't know if I ever will be ready. I am super scared at managing two..advice? words of encouragement? Should I make her an only child?

jennblayne

Asked by jennblayne at 6:24 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• My brother has a saying..... "If you wait until you are 100% ready, it will likely never happen." I totally agree with that. Things will probably NEVER be perfect. You have to weigh the positives and the negatives and just make the jump when it feels right. With me, the one thing that was holding me back from having my second child was finances, but everything else was right. We just did it, and we were ok. We wanted our kids to be close in age and that was very important to us. When I got pregnant my x husband got a new, better job and things worked out. Well, not in the long run, but I wouldn't change the way we did it for anything.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 6:38 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Um, the pregnancy test was positive. I didn't know I was ready, but I guess I was!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:29 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• my son was only two weeks old and i wanted another one, when my son was 2 months old i got my wish. they are the best of buds..
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 8:01 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• My husband and I knew we wanted more children,and always talked about having them three years apart . our son is now two and ahalf and Im 34 weeks prego with number two! (a girl) and we are excited.before I found out i was pregnant again i was going through a phase were i wasnt sure if i i still wanted another this soon, but surprise ! i guess my body was ready .lol
    claysmom13

Answer by claysmom13 at 8:39 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Heyyyy, I'm in the same situation. I have a daughter who just turned two, am working full time and going nursing school. There are somedays when I just want another one so bad I can't stand it but I try to logically think to myself before I dive in: what will the month to month finances look like, will we really be strapped for cash? Do I feel like I can give enough attention and patience to my second child as I did my first when I didn't have another young child to take care of the first time around. What are my career goals should I at least get some good experience before we try again? Do we want a break from diapers? How much do I enjoy my uninterrupted nights? lol
    Hope that helps you and gives you a place to start thinking.
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 8:41 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I knew I was ready for number two because the test came up positive. We were actually trying to avoid. (obviously not hard enough)

Oh...and I knew I was ready for the third one the same damn way, too.

I think we finally found a form of birth control that works, though! Vasectomy!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:50 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• its hard to decide to have number two. between working and taking care of your first etc... We didn't really thing we was ready. I stoped using birth control and a month later i was pregnant. we was happy but shocked cause with my first i didn't get pregnant right away took about eight months

good luck
    proudyoungmom87

Answer by proudyoungmom87 at 10:51 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I agree with the first responce if you wait till youre 100% ready you will never have another lol or wouldnt have had the first either... I know I wouldnt have lol.. I'm 2 weeks away from having my second child and everything in my house is ready...but am I? I keep asking myself that and the answer has been no 5 times out of 10... I know how I will feel when this little guy is born though.. then my answer will be 100% yes lol.. life just happens and I do not think you can EVER be 100% preparred or ready for what it throws at you.. if you feel like you've waited long enough go for it! if youre still not ready in your heart of hearts wait a lil while longer.
    joscelyne

Answer by joscelyne at 2:42 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I didn't. I didn't even really get a chance to get used to one baby. When she was 7 months old I found out I was pregnant again (I have serious issues remembering to take BCP, lol). She by the time my oldest was 15 months I was the mom of 2 kids. Then 13 months after that my 3rd child was born. I had 3 kids under 3 and all in diapers.
    I wouldn't change it for anything, though. They are 8, 7 and 6 now and best of friends. I also have an almost 3yo that we sort of planned. We were discussing trying for a 4th baby but hadn't settled the issue then a couple weeks later I found out I was already pregnant, lol.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:16 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I agree with the first response, too. There's never a best time - there's always some reason to wait, and you might never feel "ready." I know I didn't! It'll work out however it's meant to.
    flmom321

Answer by flmom321 at 8:24 AM on Feb. 11, 2009