What's in a name?

There's a new cable channel for Wiccans and Pagans launching on Halloween. I doubt we'll get it here - they pre-empt Downton Abbey for the Gospel Hour here lest it offend anyone. LOGO isn't an option either.  

The part I question is the name they chose. It'll be called The Illuminati Network.  Their main page on the website includes a rather long disclaimer, explaining that they have nothing to do with THAT Illuminati.  So then why use the word at all - why not pick something that won't be so quick to have churches picketing the local cable company office to get the channel taken off the air, or get whackjob conspiracy theorists writing them death threats every week?

I'm sure part of their reasoning was the initial publicity the name choice will get them, but is it so gimmicky it's going to shoot them in the foot before they even get off the ground?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 1:00 PM on Oct. 28, 2012 in Religious Debate

• Kind of like the names the moms pick here.

Like we're not smart enough to disect your name as a newbie and connect you to your old SN!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 1:13 PM on Oct. 28, 2012

• That was stupid, imo. Yes, I understand that some folks believe negative publicity can be better than none but this can't be the best way to go.

Additionally, there are a LOT of Wiccans and Pagans out there who will love this channel (provided it's done right) and will likely flock to it. I'm not sure the possible backlash would be worth it.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 1:17 PM on Oct. 28, 2012

• Additionally, there are a LOT of Wiccans and Pagans out there who will love this channel (provided it's done right)

That's another thing I wonder. I initially heard about this from an article on Google News, and that story didn't include a link to the network website. My initial thought was that it was a parody article, like something from The Onion, and that once again, random reporters had started running a parody as legit because they were too lazy to fact check it. I had to hunt around through 3 or 4 other articles and go over the link to the network once I found it before I was sure it wasn't a joke.

If that's MY initial reaction, I don't doubt it will also be the reaction of a lot of other people the network is targeted towards.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 1:35 PM on Oct. 28, 2012

• Anyone messes with Downton Abbey and I'm pissed! Okay, that said, is this local only or will the new channel run everywhere? The name would certainly intrigue and be supported in the West but I can see where it wouldn't in other parts of the USA. That might be why they've posted the disclaimer....to appease the others? The tv bottom line is money so they really don't care who it offends as long as the show generates ad dollars, disclaimer or not.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:37 PM on Oct. 28, 2012

• Okay, that said, is this local only or will the new channel run everywhere?

Everywhere. One of the articles I saw described it as "worldwide".
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 1:39 PM on Oct. 28, 2012

• I think it's interesting. My guess then would be it's a legal issue to avoid lawsuits.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:43 PM on Oct. 28, 2012

• Yeah, that was an odd choice. It looks interesting. I'm in TX so, I'm sure we went get it here. I was shocked that we got Logo, honestly.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 5:56 PM on Oct. 28, 2012

• It seems like there would have been a better choice.

PeacefulMom.2

Answer by PeacefulMom.2 at 7:42 PM on Oct. 28, 2012

• We only do basic cable and don't get many of the fancy networks. I don't know if I'd watch it even if we did get it.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 7:37 AM on Oct. 29, 2012

• I'm sure part of their reasoning was the initial publicity the name choice will get them, but is it so gimmicky it's going to shoot them in the foot before they even get off the ground?

Agreed
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:46 PM on Nov. 5, 2012