need help

my son is having hard time multiplying any ideas how to get him stared...
fllash cards?? he also has ADHD so if any body ideas open to anything...

gabrielsmommy05

Asked by gabrielsmommy05 at 6:44 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Ooooh...multiplication war! I love that idea! LOL

It depends on how your son learns. If he's visual, then flash cards will work...but he may need to see HOW multiplication works. Take some objects..anything, but make it something that interests him. (I'll use hot wheels lol) So lay out the cars in three different groups of two. Explain that 2+2+2=6, right? (he should agree? lol) So...how many GROUPS are there? (3) Okay...so we have 3 groups of 2...or 3 x 2 and that is six. (you might have to reword it a couple different ways)

Use a treat and do the same with the treats.....if he gets it right, he gets the treat!

My boys (the older two) are visual and analytical.....It's rough sometimes trying to explain things.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:03 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I teach 2nd grade and the best way to have him memorize is to use flashcards. To help him see the answer, you can use an array or groups.
    HeatherLeigh

Answer by HeatherLeigh at 6:46 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I agree flashcards are a good idea. I also know there are some really fun leapster games for math that my son loves to play. good luck:)
    cjsmom734

Answer by cjsmom734 at 7:03 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• You might also try timed tests. There is a good book called the Complete Book of Math Timed Tests. It has math timed tests for Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication and Division. It helped all of my kids master these basic skills. It is fun for kids with ADHD because they are forced to work at higher speeds to beat the clock. My two with ADHD worked better with that than anything else.

I also used a card game. We took a deck of cards and would turn over like war. If they could find the product quickly, they got the cards. If they couldn't I got them.
    yakara77

Answer by yakara77 at 7:55 PM on Feb. 10, 2009