suggestions on hair dye help

I dyed my hair last year to cover up some greys, my normal hair colour is dark brown, and I picked a dark brown colour & brand I have used before, but my hair came out Black! Is there anything I can do at home to get rid of the black and return to my normal dark brown?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:12 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Dish soap. I know it sound wierd but it works
    Angie430

Answer by Angie430 at 9:30 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• If it were me, I would bleach my hair and strip it of all color and then re dye it with a brown dye
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 7:51 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• the best way to cover greys is to go lighter.
    Anonymous

• color wont lift color. bleach and re color will be you only color option. otherwise, let it fade out some, maybe youll like it darker
    sylvia10907

Answer by sylvia10907 at 10:42 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• dont bleach it!!! oh goodness. Wash your hair with moisturizing shampoo. How long has it been since you colored it?? Moisture and color fight for the same space in the hair, so if you wash with a moisturizing shampoo, it will help push the color out. Other than that, just let it fade on its own. Putting another color over it wont do anything, and i definitely wouldn't recommend bleaching it - that will only cause more issues.
    KeikoRose

Answer by KeikoRose at 11:10 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Do not bleach it! If it has been long enough that the color is set and it is still really bugging you, the only thing you can do is go in to a salon, have them strip the color and try a lighter one. Way safer than home bleaching.
    But what if for now, you went in and got some highlights done? Maybe it will break up the dark enough that you can deal with it til it grows out and not do nearly as much damage as bleaching or color stripping.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 7:44 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I agree with Angie430. Dishsoap is known to strip hair color. It works even better than Prell.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 12:10 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• This happened to a friend of mine that had been dying her hair blonde. She tried to go back to her normal color which is a medium brown but it turned out almost black. She washed it several times with Dawn dishsoap and it did lighten it. You may have to do it a lot before you get the desired color. Good luck!
    the3jsandme

Answer by the3jsandme at 2:10 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I grew up w/ my mom as a hairdresser, and always preferred to experiment with my haircolor at a young age. Naturally i've made some mistakes my mom always had me mix baking soda w/ water to make a paste and scrub it into my hair! then shampoo, deep condition, and it will definatly lighten the color! you can repeat this everytime you shower and it will get lighter everytime!! Also there is a product sold by the hair dyes that also comes in a box It's called a color remover, and it works really well too! If you use the color remover be sure to have another box of haircolor to redye because it may remove the color unevenly, or make your hair brassy! hopefully this helps
    Jessiemay999

Answer by Jessiemay999 at 10:05 PM on Feb. 13, 2009