can you steam clean an area rug?

Someone told me that ot would mold your floor underneath because of the dampness left behind. But I'm not so sure I believe them because steam clean wall to wall would mold thye floor underneath also, if the cleaner didn't suck most of the water up. Anyone ever tried this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:19 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I have never tried this, but I can't imagine why it would be any different than steam cleaning carpet.
    I guess if your really worried about mold you could always just hang it to dry.
    Anonymous

• I steam cleaned my area rugs with out any problems. I do it for the ones in my kitchen and they dry pretty quickly. I have done it with wool rugs too. The only problem I found was when I hung them to dry on my porch railing the edges curled so now I lay them flat to dry, if it is a nice day I put them on my deck otherwise I leave them on my floor. (not hardwood)
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 7:26 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Thank you. The floor is hardwood and the rug is way too big to hang on anything. I have steamed in several times on my large deck and dried it laying outside, but its not nice enough out to do that, and it is bad need of a steam clean. Think I'm going to try.
    Anonymous

• I steam clean my area rug all the time. it will be fine
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 7:49 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I steam clean my area rugs also. I think it will be fine too.
    qtnfluffy

Answer by qtnfluffy at 9:39 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• yes you can steam clean most carpets and rugs. my family is the owners of Folex carpet spot remover inc. and i would just suggest that you test a small spot on you rug first anfd let it sit over night to make sure that your rug accepts water and doen't spot. good luck!!
    lovebugs_08

Answer by lovebugs_08 at 5:35 AM on Feb. 12, 2009