How do I get my son tested for ADHD?

I have taken him to his normal doc. and she says he is just a normal growing boy I don't think thats the case. He doesn't pay attention, it takes him a while to learn things(I now go to school with him two days a week just so he will sit still). I have to tell him things about 20 times and he still forgets. I have changed his diegt(limiting his sugar in-take, etc....)I live in southern california. I'm not sure who I need to see. I don't know if their are specialists for this kind of thing. Help

sue_magoo

Asked by sue_magoo at 7:23 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• A Child Psychologist maybe. Or if you can find one, a pediatrician who specializes in developmental/behavioral pediatrics.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 7:28 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Welcome to the wonderful world of children. THIS IS NORMAL. He is a normal child. What do you want a stuffed kid? You don't need to do anything, just treat him normal and don't put the child on drugs. This is normal.
    Anonymous

• Normal... can you please define this word to me. Go back and READ my question. I want to get him TESTED for adhd, not put him on medication. I think it's NORMAL to have questions.
    sue_magoo

Answer by sue_magoo at 9:21 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• A developmental pediatrician and/or pediatric psychologist.

We're currently working with a psychologist for our oldest boy. We've been seeing him since November.

I will tell you right now...if you see a doctor and they try to give you a diagnosis on the first visit...take it with a grain of salt and get a second opinion. I love our psychologist! He told me from the beginning that unless he saw extreme behavior in our son, he would NOT give a diagnosis until he was a LEAST 6 but probably closer to 8 years of age (he's going to be 5 in a few days)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:56 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• We have seen a therapist for the last 8 months. when he got to know her and could see the problems himself and realized that it was not getting better he referred me to a psychiatrist that read his report, talked to the therapist and visited with dd for 3 months. Then made the adhd diagnosis. The whole point is that there is really no test for adhd or add. It will come from the doctors that get to know your child. Like it was said do not see a doctor that gives drugs like candy, try therapy first. to really truly know if it is adhd or add. btw there is no such thing as normal

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:17 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• tell your school guidence counselor about his behavior then maybe they can set up some testing its what i did for mine hope this helps =]
    christine2007

Answer by christine2007 at 2:04 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• WELL MY SON HASIT AND I HADDOC TELL ME THE SAME THING THAT HE IS OKEY. WRONG. HE IS NOT .THE PROGRAM I TOOK MY SON TOLD ME THAT THERE PROGRAM ISALL OVER THE WORLD. IT CALL EYLWN. IT AN PROGRAM. THAT HELP HIM . BY ME GOIN TOTHIS PROGRAM I FOUND OUT ALOT ABOUT MY CHILD. THAT HE 50% SLOW. AND WHY HEHAS AN SPEECH PROBLEM. HEARING PROBLEMECT..... SO TRY LOOKING THEM UP ON LINE . AT EYLWN .COM OR ORG. THAT HOW IFOUNDOUT HAT MY SON HAS`ADHD. BAD .
    zazama

Answer by zazama at 9:43 PM on Feb. 13, 2009