How can I keep my dogs nails from bleeding?

I snip those claws and they bleed sometimes. I can't seem to avoid it. If I don't cut them that short, the are just about curling. What is the best product for stopping the bleeding? Do you need alot of it to control the bleeding? I would like to take her to the vet but getting her into the room is just as traumatic as cutting her nails at home. I hate it!

happi-ladi

Asked by happi-ladi at 7:38 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Pets

• First off, if your dog is terrified of the vet, if you have a local petsmart or petco, they have grooming salons that will cut her nails for a walk in service, but if you insist on doing it yourself(which if you aren't going to be more careful is kinda cruel, it hurts when you cut them too short) get yourself some kwik stop styptic powder(it's the best brand) and watch this video give help give you a better idea of how to do it right

Video

helpful article

Rachel1786

Answer by Rachel1786 at 12:41 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Stop cutting them so short. Keep a styptic pencil on hand to stop bleeding.

You might want to try that pedi paws thing. I have never used it myself, but hear from friends that it works well.
    yakara77

Answer by yakara77 at 7:43 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• my dogs hate vets too. some do both home visits and office appointments. i agree with 643yakara. Also, I've learned to go and sign in to the vet and tell receptionist to call my cell when it's my turn. I walk my dog right after I sign in and then just sit in the car till my cell rings. It takes away a log of the stress. Plus I don't let temperature get taken every visit and if weight was taken with last two months I don't allow weight to be taken either unless appetite is down and/or acting poorly. Temp and weight really upset my dogs.
    Anonymous

• you have to trim the nail very little at a time, you might have to trim them 2 times a week or so but just cut a fraction off. that will get the quick of the nail (the part that bleeds) to start receding so that you will aventually be able to cut the nails short with out them bleeding. and after that you need to keep them trimed so that the quick won't grow out the nail so far.
    setliff

Answer by setliff at 7:57 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• The quick goes down to the curve of the dogs nail. If you wont take her to the vet or the groomers to get it done.... cornstarch will also stanch the bleeding.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 6:41 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Your cutting your puppys nails too short, try cutting them not so much and then right after take your doggy on a nice long walk on pavement and it will file down your puppys nails to a good length. But when the opsey happens this is odd but if you take a bowl of flour and put the dogs paw in the flour it will help clot the bleeding, we learned that from a vet.
    aameliaz

Answer by aameliaz at 11:54 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• i wold suggest nail glue to stop it and seal it up... my dogs nails are curled and i wont cut them, i wont hurt her like that but if you must glue them back together... get non toxic kind.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:59 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Go to Wal-mart and buy that new clippers that buff off nails . News channel did in depth story about it to it really work. they you won't have to worry about injuring you dog.
    Sassy1313

Answer by Sassy1313 at 1:00 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• If your dogs nails are too long you need to cut them every 2 weeks until they get to the right length. Cutting them every 2 weeks gives the quik(sp) a chance to become shorter inside the nail. The quik is what bleeds. If you have bleeding you can buy expensive powder or use corn starch. I fill a little container with cornstarch and keep it with the nail clippers. Then when I cut their nails I have it if needed. Just press some of the cornstarch into the nail. You will use less then half a teaspoon for a large nail. Good luck!
    suznbnd

Answer by suznbnd at 1:03 PM on Feb. 11, 2009