What would you do?

My 10 year old just told me today that 2 days ago he opened his own Yahoo email account and Myspace account. Yes Myspace. He lied on it and said that he is 27 years old. He gave his full name and the city and state he lives in. He added a friend, an 18 year old boy from another state that we don't even know, probably a random friend request. His Yahoo email had 57 emails in the inbox, all of them junk mail (luckily none of them x rated though!), and he still doesn't understand what he did wrong when we have specifically told our boys they may not have their own email or myspace til they are older. I of course deleted the myspace, haven't yet figured out how to delete the email account. He has lost all privileges to the computer, other than homework and when he does homework he has to be supervised. They are no longer allowed to play wii in their room since you can access internet on it. What would you do if it were your kid?

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 7:49 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Ditto and BRAVO!

Supervise, supervise, supervise.

Good job.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 7:51 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• i would do exactly what you did
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 7:51 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I applaud you for making the decisions that you did.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:55 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• You did exactly the right thing!! Bravo!
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 7:58 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• An occasional, random smack upside the head would be a nice touch.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 7:58 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• LMAO Wimsey that actually made me laugh :-)
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 8:06 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• When my son was 15yo, he'll be 25 yo in the summer, he i m'd with a 30 year old in Oregon. He told her he was 24. My husband came to me and told me he had very serious news to tell me about our son and to prepare myself. fgs I thought he was gonna tell me our son's was a father. Our son hid what he did, my husband found out because of parental controls even back then available. Praise your son for telling you and then kick his ass to his room and remove every down time device known to him showing him what's on the news about facebook now even though he did myspace. Yahoo I know for a fact is very very hard to delete, I've tried to get rid of an old one of mine. I read in yahoo that it either takes months or can't delete. oh Yahoo does have a q and a for yahoo account holders. Go into your son's account - you have to be in an account to do it - and ask other yahooers how to do delete a yahoo account.
    Anonymous

• Google some real life stories about what has happened to children because of what they have posted on the internet. Have your kids read them. Hopefully it will help them understand the danger in what they are doing.

This happened to me with my son, He was texting "girls" in 3 states. I went balistic and he thought I was totally overreacting. But then I calmly explained how he had no idea if these were girls or 45 year old child molesting men. Children are too honest and trusting and don't think about the possibility that people aren't who they say they are.

BTW......I got his phone, texted the "girls" saying I was THE MOM and they were to never contact my son again. Never heard from them again.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 10:39 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Tell him about the 18 year old from I think Wisconsin that made 300 boys send him naked pics and then blackmailed them to either have sex with him or he'd show everyone..Take away his internet rights for awhile, he obviously isnt mature enough yet to be safe. The comp needs to be where u can see it, you need to set parental locks on certain things. For now set it to a new admin and only u know the code until he has accepted he needs to follow rules and be safe, u love him and dont want some perv tricking him into thinking hes a young pretty girl and then doing god knows what to him.
    lakegeorge_mom

Answer by lakegeorge_mom at 5:43 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I would do the same thing and have. My son had a myspace account, he had my permission but he had rules to go along with it and when he gave out his password to his best friend who in turn posted my cell phone number on his page his account was deleted immediately and he hasn't had one since.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:46 AM on Feb. 11, 2009