how in the world do you stop breast feeding i have tried so hard and I still cant stop

my son is 20 months old and he constantly wants to breast feed

Presmommy27

Asked by Presmommy27 at 7:56 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My neighbor put band aids on her nipples for as long as it took to convince her son that they were owies and he eventually stopped asking to nurse. It took almost 3 weeks and then she told him that they have no more milk and he is requesting to go have them refilled. It is really cute, but if you are done then you are done. I would make sure that once you decide to stop that you don't give in b/c you are going to create a bigger mess when you try it again. I wish you all the luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:59 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Distract and delay. Don't say "no," say "not now. We'll nurse after Barney." Or something like that.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:01 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I think you just drop a feeding a day and stop offering so the process goes slowly and you won't be in pain and your baby has time to adjust. I'm really not sure. I don't want to wean and I'm letting my son self wean. He's 23 months.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 8:19 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• My dd is the same way, but she goes through phases. One month, it's nurse nurse nurse, the next she nurses 2 times in a day. She is still a heavy night nurser *sigh*.

She is also 20 months old.

I agree about the distraction thingy. Say "nurseys sleeping" or hwatever you call them. Then offer her some juice, water, a snack, or a favorite activity. This won't always work, but gradually she will get the message, and it WONT happen overnight!

Good luck.

BTW, how come you want to wean her?
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 9:41 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I mean him :)
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 11:06 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Drop one nursing session per week.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:20 AM on Feb. 11, 2009