Kicking kids out of school

I'm really very frustrated this morning after speaking to the Vice Principal of Springville Junior High,they want to kick my child out of school because he's failing in school,and they've said they've done everything they can to help him. I've asked them what they've tried and get no answers. The only response I got was,well the teachers have talked to you,I said yes but only once and that was by email. I've asked the school for them to evaluate him and test him,they said his scores are high on most things he scored a 2 on math out of 4 this year. I feel that he has a problem focusing on what he needs to do and have begged them to let him stay in school. The alternative school will set him back if he were to go because they give him the very basics. When my daughter went to the alternative school and she came back to public school she was thrown in with the other kids and forced to learn something she didn't know,so she got bad grades and struggled and is still a year behind everyone else.
I don't think schools should kick kids out for not getting good grades,I say kick em out if your gonna be getting in fights with teachers or kids. I've asked the school psych to evaluate him and see if he is having add issues,something I never tested him for. He shows signs of not being able to get his stuff done,I don't know what else it could be. It could be that maybe he doesn't care about school and that he is only there to be with friends I've done what every mom would do and taken things away,grounded him,but my efforts aren't doing anything,and nothings changed. What am I doing wrong is my question and is there a something I can do to get my son on track. How do I get him to care?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 PM on Oct. 29, 2012 in Teens (13-17)

• What are you state laws in this case... I know here if you request all that testing IN WRITING they have to do it!! Get your requests in writing, send it to the principle, the super, the school board and your stated DOE.... ASAP!! Document EVERYTHING!! Get your doctor involved as well!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:42 PM on Oct. 29, 2012

• Crafty honestly I'm not sure.. Do you mean to ask to see my childs tests all of them?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:46 PM on Oct. 29, 2012

• not the tests taken in class for mastery of subject
    test an in evaluations for learning/behavioral/cognitive dysfunction

just google your state and education mandates
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:51 PM on Oct. 29, 2012

• You can also have your child tested on your own...Contact your childs Dr. and go from there.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:54 PM on Oct. 29, 2012

• I just gave them papers this morning,to the Vice Principal,they haven't started any tests and yet they still are trying to get him out. I told them I would like to wait to see what the tests bring back. Now I'm worried that they might tamper with the tests a bit just to get him expelled. I'm thinking your right about getting my own tests done. I better start making calls.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:57 PM on Oct. 29, 2012

• Just say you feel like you're being steam rolled and you're going to contact a lawyer. That threat alone usually changes their ability to work with you.  It sounds like they don't want to be bothered.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:58 PM on Oct. 29, 2012

• Farrahann,funny you should say that cause that's exactly what my husband said,and all they said was well,were sorry you don't agree with us,and your free to do what you want.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:02 PM on Oct. 29, 2012

• Can you afford a lawyer?
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:03 PM on Oct. 29, 2012

• No,but to satisfy my curiosity what would a lawyer be able to do?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:07 PM on Oct. 29, 2012

• Yeah...unless there's a severe behavioral problem, they are mandated BY LAW to keep your kid in school and provide him an education, doesn't matter if he's in AP classes or special ed, they HAVE to accommodate him.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 1:15 PM on Oct. 29, 2012