Stupid stuff

Do you have a teen who does 'stupid' stuff to get attention? We had a banquet after the last soccer game on Saturday & my dh & I noticed that our 14 yo dd would let other girls tell her dumb stuff to do. One said 'put on this bib' she did and wore it all from the time she put it on till after the banquet. She said it's a basketball thing we do. We said well why were you the only one wearing one & there were 4 girls who are also in basketball last year and they didn't. I refused to let her wear it for the group picture. Another thing one girl got some icecream and it was softserve & it came up looking like a penis & one girl wanted her to hold it at the side of her mouth & she snapped a picture.  & we found out later she was sending to people INSTA GRAM. What is an instagram?? When they went around the table & were to talk about highlights of the soccer season she said when she brought cupcakes & Carmen smashed it in my face. WHAT???!!! She's 14 not 7!! Would you be as mortified & embarrassed as my dh & I were??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 PM on Oct. 29, 2012 in Teens (13-17)

• Sounds like the kid your talking about is my kid
    yeah- she does silly things all the time
    she's a kid- it's allowed and expected
    it isn't life threatening- nor will the silly antics you've described have any long term effects
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:55 PM on Oct. 29, 2012

• *you're ugh
    feralxat

• Sounds like some self esteem issues. Kind of a scapegoat situation. I don't think that's healthy at all. It sounds like an "any" attention is good attention. Good luck with this one.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 1:21 PM on Oct. 29, 2012

• my son did dumb things all the time we expected it. mortified no laughing yes
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:27 PM on Oct. 29, 2012

• I would not allow that. It is self esteem issue or bullying. Either way not a good thing.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 11:56 AM on Nov. 6, 2012

• Day after day I find out that my son does things like that, he says "everybody thinks it's funny" and that I am a "kill joy" for not rolling on the floor laughing at his 'STUPIDITY" - but one day he/she is going to do it to the wrong person - and I will jump for joy when that person SLAPS their face for being that stupid! Kill joy or not, they are going to learn!
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 10:11 AM on Nov. 25, 2012

• Teens girls do dumb things. I did and so did my friends. Some of it is very inappropriate, though. The bib thing was okay, but the icecream-penis things should be a big NO-NO. Set boundaries and stick to your guns. Give consequences for her stupid behavior. Anything that will work and open her eyes as to how stupid she is acting.
    She WILL look back on this in 20 years and regret every moment of it...Like I do. Wish I would have been more ladylike. Ugh.
    (I was the one who signed the year books- "I am the first person to sign your crack.") So mortified to this day that I did that
    Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 6:05 PM on Dec. 18, 2012