Has anyone ever heard of the horned god named Pan or Cernunnos?

Is the movie "Pans Labyrinth" inspired by that god? In the movie, there is a goat thing with horns who walks on two legs and he lives in the labyrinth. Can anyone tell me what purpose that "god" served?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:03 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• He was the Greek God of Nature who was quite horny. He loved the conquest of the maidens.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 8:06 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• No the movie Pan's Labyrinth is not inspired by the Pan of mythology. Its a whole different story, still very very good though ! In Greek mythology he is the god of shepherds and flocks, music, mountains and such. Here is a link if you want to find out more

http://www.theoi.com/Georgikos/Pan.html
    HeartsNRoses

Answer by HeartsNRoses at 8:08 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• The horned god would be a fertility god. Christians later painted him into the modern day image of their devil, to "demonize" paganism.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 8:11 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I never say Pan's Labyrinth, but the movie would probably be (loosely?) inspired by Pan. Cernunnos, would be someone completely different (antlers of a stag, human body).

Pan was the god of shepherds and flocks, of mountain wilds, hunting and rustic music. He wandered the hills and mountains of Arkadia playing his pan-pipes and chasing Nymphs.
    The URL for the info on Pan is:
    http://www.theoi.com/Georgikos/Pan.html

Hope this helps answer your questions.
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 8:14 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• LOL HeartsNRoses... looks like you were posting while I was typing! Damn, I gotta quit trying to multi-task. I notice we came up with the same site though!
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 8:20 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• These ladies have said everything I was thinking.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 8:22 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Me too anetrnlov.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:35 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Thank You ladies.
    Anonymous

• Cernunnos a Celtic diety...he is somewhat similar to Pan, both are dieties that embody nature, and they are similar in apperance.

The imagery of Satan is based on the Greek diety of Pan.

The goaty thing in the movie is a faun...there is some resemblence to Pan, and fauns do exist in Greek and Roman mythology, but they are not the same.

thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 9:24 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• <3 Pan.
    Anonymous