My 4 mo loves water... repost (I didn't get many answers last time)

I'll give a little to her in a sippy cup whenever I feed her solids. She doesn't get very much in her mouth and what she does get usually just falls right out, but she seems to love the feel of it in her mouth. Is it okay for her to have water this early?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:18 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think you didn't like the answers. It's not good for babies this young to have water. Ask her pediatrician.
    Anonymous

• i gave my kids a little bit of water any time they got the hiccups. and the pediatrician said that was fine and they were as young and even younger as your 4 mos old
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 8:20 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• i actually gave my baby water since like 3ms. they say its bad 4them but i dont think so it helps them build a stronger stomach. give bb like 1oz but dont get bb used to it. in my parenting classes they say the formula has all baby needs to eat til its like 5-6ms, when they're ready for pureed solids
    myJdnbbby

Answer by myJdnbbby at 8:22 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• It can cause water toxicity quickly in babies because they are small and their kidneys cannot keep up with it. If she is getting very very small amounts it might be okay, but you really need to check with the doctor about this. They are the best resource for whether this is safe.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 8:25 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I don't think it's a big deal....as long as it's after she's been fed her formula and it is given in small amounts. You'd never want for her to fill up on 3 oz of water and in return drink less formula. She NEEDS formula, it's most important.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 8:28 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I don't think its a big deal. If she wants it give it to her.

People go on about toxicity but water is a lot better for a baby than feeding solids early (before the first year, yes first year) and forcing a child to eat things they do not wish - they know best they are in tune with their natural instinct to detect what their body needs and what is considered food.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 8:32 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• not to scare you but i wouldnt make it a regular thing through out the day, they just had something in the paper about babies dying from having too much water because their kidneys cant process it the way older kids can. I guess it basically floods their bodies.
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 8:32 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I am more worried about her having solids at this age than water.

Please read the following, or do your own research, and educate yourself on what is best for baby:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...lids-when.html

http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/infan...ingsolids.html

http://www.babyandkidallergies.com/i...ing_solids.php

As far as the water goes, I have not seen any negative research on that, unless it is replacing what baby would normally consume in way of breastmilk or formula. If she is only drinking as small of an amount as you say, I wouldn't think it's bad.

I live in the south, and in the summer months I know *I* would like something to drink besides warm milk. This makes me think of Anchorman, where Will Ferrell chugs milk in the heat of summer and says "gaaahhh, milk was a bad choice!!". Obviously that doesn't reflect on your baby, but just thought I'd make someone smile with that, lol.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 8:40 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• LuvsDanika - Yes, large amounts of water can basically drown the body. I don't know if you were referring to the mom who was watering down formula to almost pure water, and her baby died??

In any case, that is definitely something to consider. A mindful parent won't give more than an ounce or 2 a day of water, if that.

I can only imagine how much water a baby would have to bed to drown - but I bet it's not as much as we think.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 8:46 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• well i dont know if it was just one lady but i know she was from florida and ended up takin her baby to a hospital in my area (i live in pa- i think she was on vac)
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 8:53 PM on Feb. 10, 2009