2nd stage baby-food pertaining to meats

My daughter went today for her 6month check-up and her ped. put her on 2nd stage foods and meats. We went to the store and got her some and tried her on the chicken one and I gave her a little bit on the tip of the spoon and she started gagging and chocking etc. etc. I tried to trick her and give her a tiny tiny bite on the end of her spoon with her squash, that by the way she loves, and she still did the same thing!! Has anyone had this problem and what did you do? She loves her baby food and there is not a single one that she does not enjoy, I tried to give her some of her comfort food, squash, and she would not take it, now she is shy with it. WHAT DO I DO!! Because I know she needs to meat for iron... And like I said she loves her food so much, and that is NOT a scene that I want to see again it really made me nervous...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She doesn't need meat for iron. If she is formula fed she is getting plenty and if she is breastfed then she can get iron from some vegetables and from baby cereal. If she does not like it, skip it for now.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 8:26 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• my son WOULD NOT eat the meat to save his life. so we didnt force it on him. i personally think it smells like canned dog food.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:35 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I would try the mixed meal ones. Make sure she has had everything in it except the meat. They taste much better than just the plain meat.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 8:37 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• She doesn't need the meat. And she sure doesn't need babyfood meat. You can either just give her little bits of your meat from your plate (the tender cuts) and/or give her the mixed meals as mentioned by kboney.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:42 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Yuck. But I'm a vegetarian so that's a knee-jerk reaction for me, lol.

That said, your baby does NOT need meat for iron. And to OP, baby gets iron from breastmilk too, especially if mom eats meat.

I would stop the meats, obviously she is not ready for them. As far as the shyness goes now, just give her a few days of what she likes, but don't force it, and hopefully she will regain confidence in her comfort foods.

Good luck.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 8:43 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• lol... I dont understand why they baby food co's even sell the chicken and turkey individually- EVERYONE I have ever spoken to said their child reacted the same gag-induced way. Try the turkey and sweet potato mix. My little one LOVED it. :)
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 8:43 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• She doesn't need the meat for iron, it's in the cereal and formula/breast milk. YOu would really be fine putting the meats off for a while if you wanted to.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:45 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Gross! We never did meats until she started eating finger foods. Baby food meat creeps me the eff out..lol. It's unnecessary. Green veggies also have iron so anything with spinach etc in it works too :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:54 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• She doesn't need the meat for iron there is plenty of that in formula and if you BF you can just eat food w/ more iron and she will get the vitamins she needs. Try the mixed meals. Just meat is really hard for kids to eat. Also she shouldn't be on meat until 9months because some babies can't tolortate it at 6months. My son couldn't handle the meat and now at almost 8months he eats the mixed meals but still can't eat just meats.
    babyboomboom

Answer by babyboomboom at 9:23 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• My son started eating pureed poultry mixed with veggies just recently (we mainly cook it ourselves). He loves it as long as we puree it pretty smooth. He gagged once or twice, though, the first few times...I think it's a texture thing. I just added more liquid and re-pureed it until it was smoother until he got used to having more texture in his foods.

But then last night I decided to cook some beef for him for the first time and pureed it with spinach. He was gagging a LOT. I pureed it as finely as I could, but still, the texture of beef is very chewy compared to poultry. I think he liked the taste but he struggled to get it down. Might have to wait until the poor kid cuts some teeth to try that one again. :)

In any event, it's definitely true that babies can get iron without eating meat. Spinach and other dark green, leafy veggies are loaded with iron.
    Mamastheword

Answer by Mamastheword at 12:32 AM on Feb. 11, 2009