how do you prepare an older sibling

i have a two and a half year old son (will be 3 when the baby is born) i would like for him to know what is going on to the best of his capability but dont know how to prepare him. i dont want to show him anything too graphic but i would like for him to be well informed... he seems very interested in what is going on with the baby and want to watch the things i am watching... any suggestions?
Report this

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My daughter is going to be there for the birth, if she wants to be. She will be 2.5 when the new baby is born. She saw the ultrasound at 20 weeks, has heard the heartbeat and we always talk about the baby. She is very into it all. She has seen some birth videos, including graphic ones, and gets so exctied about the baby. :) She now kisses my belly and says "baby". I am not hiding a thing from her, unless she expresses discomfort. She will also help pick out baby gear and the cloth diapers. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:48 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Two and a half right now is awful young to have any type of sex talk except there's a baby in mommy's tummy, when it's time for kids to go to school or halloween what ever time span baby sister or brother will come out. My son was just over two and a half when I got pregnant with my first daughter. We just told him God put the baby in mommy's tummy. His mind was not old enough to understand answers beyond that. And for his new sister he drove with us and relatives in the middle of the night in a snowstorm to the hospital so after baby was born he could see sister after I was out of recovery. same with the two oldest in similar scenarious with our youngest daughter. Just enjoy!
    Anonymous

• My daughter is 2 and she goes to our ultrasounds with us. I've been hanging around friends with little babies so that she gets the idea of what "baby" is. She loves to kiss my belly and gibber to it. Personally I don't let her watch anything more graphic or involved than baby story on tlc. I don't think little minds are able to reason out that mommy is in pain and bleeding and un-happy but it will be okay because a baby is coming! I think it is more than their little minds should be exposed to. All they need to know is "yeah we have a new baby!" Good luck :)
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 10:01 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• When I was pregnant with my second baby I was adviced to get my daughter a pet so that she can learn to be gentle and also have someone after the baby was born. We got her a kitten and she learned to be nice also to feed it she was going on 2 years old when I had my second baby. She did awesome and when mommy had to feed the baby she learned to give her kitten a little bit of food. It worked great! If you don't want a kitten maybe get your son a fish or something he'll be excited of and can take care of. Hope this helps.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 10:06 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I guess that's where our difference of views on birth come in. I wouldn't allow my daughter to witness a hospital birth because the machines, and the circumstances are scary. BUT homebirths, and birth center births, while messy are much less scary. Mom doesn't have to look unhappy, or pained, etc. I don't plan on being unhappy at all for my homebirth so there would be nothing to scare her etc.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:30 PM on Feb. 10, 2009