Gods, disasters and politics

I read a lot of things that absolutely pissed me off over the weekend. They range from the hurriane being an act of god to punish gay people, to a Catholic bishop writing a letter ordering every church beneath him to order their congregations to vote for Romney if they don't want to go to Hell.   

There was also a full moon while we were offline (in a way, I think we might all be grateful that the last full moon before an election, during a pagan holiday - there are still idiots terrorizing small children with Chick Tracts out there- the site was simply not here).  I had a small blot, just me and the AEsir invited.  I made a point to meditate a little to see if I was given any instruction on who to vote for.  Imagine my shock (note sarcasm) that they had absolutely no opinion on the subject.  I did happen across a few other blogs from assorted varieties of pagans, suggesting they know the way ALL pagans should vote...but they don't seem to have any divine mandate, either.  Just more of the same propaganda being used by the bishop and rabbi in the stories linked above, only with a different slant.  I couldn't find a single one who had orders straight from Isis or Hera with regards to who should win the 2012 election for leader of a country thousands of miles away from where they originate.

I guess I'm going to have to make up my own mind, based on my own priorities, ethics, and values.  Novel idea.  Anyone get some divine guidance on their vote, or are we all in the same boat?  Is it perhaps time for the churches and religious writers to stop suggesting they have some inside info that doesn't exist?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 6:45 PM on Nov. 4, 2012 in Religious Debate

• Gosh no NP. All I heard was a bunch of BS. I think I've made up my mind, but all is fair game until I cast my vote, I guess....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:47 PM on Nov. 4, 2012

• I seriously doubt any god cares who we vote for. What a bunch of crap.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:11 PM on Nov. 4, 2012

• I vote for what I feel is right. I don't listen to any group, religious or non to base my vote on.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 7:15 PM on Nov. 4, 2012

• I am with you and the above posters. Make up your own mind and cast your vote.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 7:25 PM on Nov. 4, 2012

• There's a bible verse where Jesus says:
    John 17:14
    I have given your word to them, but the world has hated them, because they are no part of the world, just as I am no part of the world.

John 17:15-16
    I request you, not to take them out of the world, but to watch over them because of the wicked one. 16 They are no part of the world, just as I am no part of the world.
    I don't vote at all because I am no part of the world as Jesus was no part of the world!
    Patience909

Answer by Patience909 at 7:55 PM on Nov. 4, 2012

• The minister of my church just told us he felt it was our privilege as citizens to vote, and to do so in a mindful manner. He would never tell us who to vote for, and several of my friends in the church have wildly opposing views but thats ok. It seems to come down to whatsmost important to us as individuals... social services, womens rights, lower taxes, etc...just like the rest of the nation.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 9:35 PM on Nov. 4, 2012

• my dad always gives the preemptive "God doesnt care who you vote for" sermon before any heated election. he believes that if God cares then it doesnt matter who you vote for b/c God will make the right candidate win. and if God doesnt care then why should we? and he always gives the "whether you like it or not, there ARE ppl in this room who voted for Obama" (the loudest members are a little crazy in their devotion for the GOP).

i dont go to church much here lately (ive become a Easter, Mother's Day, and Christmas pageant Sunday church goer) so theres no one but my own brain telling me how to vote. id love for religious leaders to encourage their congregations to do the same and leave God out of it. God's either in control or He isnt...i dont understand why "those" types dont trust that God's in control when they believe God is in control of most things in this world.

okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:50 AM on Nov. 5, 2012

• No idea my priest just mentioned that we should vote.  It's up to us to search our own conscious and select leaders who we think we best meet the needs of the community including the poor and underprivileged.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:39 AM on Nov. 5, 2012

• I know God sees what is in our heart. Ultimately, no, I don't think he cares who we vote for. I do think that God judges a nation by the same measures He always has. All the more reason to pray for our nation, our leaders (regardless of they are), and God's mercy and forgiveness.

I believe natural disasters are part of living on this Earth. I don't try to explain them. I still believe that God is still ultimately in control and that He knows what is supposed to happen from an eternal point of view, that of which we have no possible comprehension.

We all have issues that sway our conscience and our vote. We still have the freedom to vote our conscience. If our religious convictions sway our vote and that is part of who we are, that's our right as Americans. I don't agree with guilting people but I do believe in truth, for example - the truth about Benghazi.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 8:57 AM on Nov. 5, 2012

• Mine was simple. I dislike both Romney & Obama.
    So, I'm voting for Gary Johnson (he's on my ballot).
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:36 AM on Nov. 5, 2012