Is it ok to supplement formula while breastfeeding so my husband can join in on meal time?

My hubby is worried that it's going to make his bonding time with his daughter harder and harder for us to share equal feeding time if Tori is strictly breastfed. Now I know that I can pump but that worries me because of it just sitting in the fridge. So is it ok to breastfeed and bottlefeed with formula?

toris777mommy

Asked by toris777mommy at 8:55 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I pump a bottle a day or every other day, then DH gets to stay up all night one night a week with the baby while I get to sleep all night. I feel so refreshed when I wake up in the morning it makes me very happy. Breast milk can last a week in the fridge and a month if frozen. If your baby is used to breast milk formula will mess up her tummy pretty bad, she'll be constipated, gassy and inconsolable at times, so stick with breast milk since that's what she's used to. Both my daughter and son took a bottle within the first month because it was important to my husband to not only spend some time with his kids, but to help me be a better mom by getting some rest.

monroesmum

Answer by monroesmum at 12:55 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• i formula fed BUT is there anyway you can pump? if not then i dont see how formula sometimes is gonna be a problem. JMO im not a dr or anything.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:59 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I would pump. That is what I did. It is good for at least 24 hrs in the fridge and a month in the freezer. I would try to only breast feed for the first month though.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 8:59 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• you can put breastmilk in the freezer instead of the refrigerator so it lasts longer if you wanted to do that but if not, a lot of people supplement with formula, I dont think it would do any harm
    mommyBrooke849

Answer by mommyBrooke849 at 9:00 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I mean, no one wil; arrest you for FFing but I DO NOT reccomend it. It will lower your supply and could cause nipple confusion. Not to mention, you baby will no longer have a virgin gut. Breastmilk is sterile, and formula IS NOT STERILE. he can bond. To say he won't bond with her is silly. My daughter has never had naything but boob and she watns nothing to do with me if her daddy is around. At first she may be clingy to you, but give her time. He can lay down with you while you nurse, he can hold her with no shirt on so their chests are bare together and that is a great bonding expirience for dad (kangaroo care) There are so many things he can do with her PLEASE I beg of you, DO NOT FF!
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 9:00 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• yes.

I actually had to use formula & breastfeed because all my children had issues gaining weight even though they ate like crazy.

Anonymous

• If you feed formula you'll produce less milk, and the baby won't be drinking the pure food that you produce. Pump, and your husband can participate.

Answer by Bmat at 9:00 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Does your husband HAVE to participate?
    Anonymous

why not he is her father i think that it is wonderful that he wants to help with raising his daughter.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 10:04 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Whether or not it's ok is ultimately up to you. Some things to consider are that supplementing will lower your supply. Every bottle of formula you give your daughter is less milk you will make. You also run a chance of nipple confusion, and baby preferring the bottle over breast since she doesn't have to work as hard to get food. Also, your daughter is used to the gentle, easy to digest BM, and formula can cause her a tummy upset. Your DH doesn't have to feed her in order to bond. Encourage him to spend more time talking and playing with her after you've fed her (assuming she isn't sleeping of course).
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:15 AM on Feb. 11, 2009