how can i get my 1- year old to talk?

he will not sit still for nothing. he wants to run around and play. he is behind on his talkin is he 1 1/2 years old actually. i cant get him to sit still for 5 mins. how do you teach him to talk if he wont sit still long enough to try

tracy210

Asked by tracy210 at 8:59 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You don't really teach a child to talk. It's not like teaching math or something...he will talk when he's ready. All kids are different, if you are really concerned talk to your doc about it.

Anonymous

• well, there are a couple things to consider with this type of quesion.
    First, is why wont he sit still? is it because he is 18mnth old and discovering the world or is there something else going on like maybe a food allergy that cause hyper activity?
    Second, are you pushing him to talk? if the answer is yes, then it could be that he maybe picking up on your anxiety about him not responding to your requests.
    Third, you said in you question that 'he wont sit still long enough to try' ;) I have to say that my son when he was this age was non-stop energy and asking him to 'try' to do something such as communication other than what he was confortable with was completly insane.........at times I drove myself insane trying to get him to 'try'

I feel your pain, as a toddler who is energetic can be frustrating! Be calm and keep an eye what interestes him the most and focus on that for verbal stimulation.
    Ihatelaundry

Answer by Ihatelaundry at 9:08 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I pretty much would have said exactly what Ihatelaundry said.

My dd is non stop go go go go, she is 1 1/2 as well. But I have the opposite speaking problem than you, lol. She talks all day every day narrating every single thing I do, BUT, that is not common at all, so comparisons are useless.

Does he speak at all? Does he interact with you (gesture for more of something, wanting a specific toy, etc.), does he make eye contact with you? does he respond to his name?

If you answered no to those questions, speak with your doctor to rule out autism.

Otherwise, let him go at his own pace, not all babies feel like talking right off the bat.

Good luck hun!
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 9:38 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Be patient believe each child has ther own timeline. it will happen and he is right ontrack. Keep talking to him and stop pressuring him.. He is not far behind and this is normal. read to him even though he is not listening talk to him even though he is not listening. I promise you he is going to talk your living ear off soon enough. cherish every moment and be patient.

hugs

pepperannrocks

Answer by pepperannrocks at 9:43 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I have an almost 18 mo old that's the same...always on the move and not talking...she has said DaDa several times and MaMa like 3 times, and a few other words once...but that's it...try to read her a book and 2 pages into it she takes the book and walks off to look at it by herself...I'm pretty sure the Dr's going to give us a referral at the 18 mo check up...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:06 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• You don't have to get him to sit still. You just talk to him. Everyday, every thing he sees, hears, and does is a lesson. That's how toddlers and preschoolers learn. They don't learn with "sit down and have a lesson" type activities. Not for learning to talk, not for learning colors, ABC's or numbers.
    And remember, "talking" at this age is simple words. And they may not even sound like the word you know. He may say "dee" or balloon or he may say "oon". Using different sounds in place of ones he can't say and dropping parts of the word are very common. For the next two years, you will have a "translation" dictionary in your head that will get updated constantly. First, you'll learn that he says "me" for milk. Then you'll have to relearn it when he switches to "mit". And finally, he'll be able to say "milk" just like you. But it takes a couple years.

Talk to his doctor. Make sure he's OK and on track.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:12 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Just talk to him as much as possible, try and try again to have him sit still for a few minutes, reading books. My son is 13 months old and we read books about four times a day. He loves to run around but I know that he needs to start learning to be calm also. Try having him sit in his highchair or in the bathtub where he is contained and work on things then. I hope this helps a bit, also a friend of mine brought a car seat inside for her son to sit in when he needed a bit of settle down time.
    written

Answer by written at 3:13 PM on Feb. 11, 2009