~Military Mom Raising 15 month old by herself while husbands deployed.~

I am having issues with my daughter who is 15 months old. Anytime I go out in public to a restaurant or go to put her in a shopping cart she throws this huge fit and starts balling and screaming and trying to flip herself out of the cart. I have talked to counselors about this, they tell me to #1 spank her butte in the bathroom and #2 leave the store. However, my daughter will throw fits no matter if she's had sleep or none at all. I can understand why she does it when she's tired, but I can have her fed and give her toys to entertain her and tell her "no" or "sit down" nothing works! The instant I pick her up she shuts right up. But I can't go on lugging her around on my hip everywhere. I'm 4 months pregant w/ our 2nd. Tonight she threw a huge fit in a restaurant.I took her to the bathroom and spanked her, but I don't feel this is the right approach for her, she's still too young to fully understand what she's doing wrong!

armywife4ever08

Asked by armywife4ever08 at 9:06 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You may have to just ignore it and keep going about doing what youre doing. Shes either doing it for attention or is spoiled to being held. I had to stop picking up my two bc they would throw huge fits in public if they didnt get what they wanted. And when they realized they couldnt get what they wanted by throwing fits, they stopped. Good luck hun!
    K-e-r-i

Answer by K-e-r-i at 9:12 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• i agree with PP about ignoring it, my son is 13 mo and he recently started the same thing. I have to ignore him or I'll never get anything done, he quiets down pretty quickly.
    rjdorsey

Answer by rjdorsey at 9:17 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Here are a couple excellent articles to read about 15month olds and there behavior. They are really helpful!

Your 15-month-old's behavior: More meltdowns

Tantrums: Why they happen and what to do about them 

mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 9:17 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I can't believe anyone would tell you to spank a 15 month old BABY! That is insane. You are absolutely right to think she is WAY to young to understand. Sorry I don't have any really helpful advice. I feel your pain though, mama. Good luck.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:20 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• boy kissing momThank you Phuksbabymama, Do not spank your 15 month old for this. You should be intune to her feelings and I am sorry but you are at her mercy, if she is not feeling like staying 2 hours out or 1 hour, than you should get down to her level and give her a time limit, shemay not understand how long 20 minutes is but eventually she will, you have to start somewhere. Give her a break and for GODS SAKE follow throught and choose your battles. (Mom of two 18 and 13 girl and boy! It works! JMO  P.S.S. Get a timer it works so good!!!!! :)

pepperannrocks

Answer by pepperannrocks at 12:23 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Could she be acting out because her dad is gone. My hubby just left and my kids are acting crazy, maybe for right now she needs the comfort of you carrying her around. My daughter is three and since her dad left I have getting killer muscles carrying her around and I just had a baby four days ago. Look at everything in her environment that could be causing the tantrums before you discipline her, you maybe able to fix it without discipline. Good luck.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:27 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Thank you everyone, for all of your helpful suggestions! I will definitely take them into consideration! I recently was advised to try the tactic of "go to your room and when your done throwing your fit, you can come out!" So I'm going to try that when we're home. However I'm still confused as to what I need to do with her in public when were simply grocery shopping. I am thinking of getting a stop watch and when I've hit my 20 minutes, it's time to checkout and we can come back later or the next day to get the remainder of our items. I am a stay at home mom, so we do have time on our hands to experiment like this. I'm also almost positive that since my husband came home on midtour leave in Oct-Nov that also might have something to do with this, maybe seperation anxiety(?) He'll be home in June, thank god! lol. I've also recently consulted with a behavioral specialist we have a meeting set up for the end of this month! Thanks!
    armywife4ever08

Answer by armywife4ever08 at 4:10 PM on Feb. 11, 2009