How Can I Get Them To Sleep Through The Night At 2 and 3??!

They used to sleep through the night just fine. But about a month or so ago, they both get out of bed between 2 and 4 in the morning, anywhere from 2-5am. They go to bed at the latest by 930 (I figured keeping them up would help them stay asleep)...nothing works. Any advice?

K-e-r-i

Asked by K-e-r-i at 9:14 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my son is 2 and still wakes up every few hours for his sippy cup! im at a loss too momma. im hoping i will be able to catch up on sleep eventually. maybe when he goes to college. lol
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 9:18 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• LOL Im trying to break them of that too...but one thing at a time. Im thinking they might be getting up to pee (my 2 y/o is still in diapers but I wonder if the feeling of having to pee is waking him up)...aye aye aye
    K-e-r-i

Answer by K-e-r-i at 9:20 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Keeping them up later to get them extra tired will acutally make it MORE likely that they will wake easily in the night.
    Overtired kids' bodies are flooded with adrenaline. How soundly will you sleep after being mugged? Not very. Same problem for them. The more exhausted they are, the harder time they will have fallling asleep, staying asleep, and the earlier they will wake in the morning. To say nothing of how rotten they will feel and behave all day long.
    What to do?
    Make certain they stay in their room at night - baby gates, door alarms, etc. A young child roaming loose in the house at night is dangerous... two is too much! Put in a baby monitor so you can hear them playing and can intervene. If necessary, put a little potty in their room and tell them they have to use it at night - no roaming in the house.
    Good luck and I hope it's a phase that passes soon.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:24 AM on Feb. 11, 2009