Inappropriate movie?

I just found out that on the last day of term, my daughter's teacher decided to show a movie in class. Now, I have no problem with that - I can well remember the last day :) However, the one she chose was "X-Men Origins: Wolverine"...

The average age of the class was 10 yo.

Would you have a problem with this movie?

winterglow

Asked by winterglow at 7:41 AM on Nov. 5, 2012 in Tweens (9-12)

• It's PG-13, not cool for a ten year old at school without permission. They couldn't choose a movie that was remotely educational either? Lame and inappropriate.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:14 AM on Nov. 5, 2012

• It's not what I would expect at school. I can see a teacher assuming that many of the kids already have seen it or the equivalent (like Spiderman movies or Batman? I know my brother's kids saw those, and the Star Wars movies, at very young ages, and I don't think they are the only kids who have, lol) but deciding to show a film like that in school on that basis? It is not what I'd expect. I think my assumption would be that, when faced with such a decision, a teacher would reflect that in spite of the fact that many children in the class have likely viewed similar movies with their parents' permission or supervision, it wouldn't be an appropriate choice.

I think the recent bunch of superhero/comic book character films are entertaining and probably well-made (sophisticated & realistic, with good acting), but along with that goes very graphic depictions of violence & action stunts, and a lot of tension.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:15 AM on Nov. 5, 2012

• I don't know what the rating is. If the rating is OK then it is probably all right. X-Men are heroes, if I remember correctly. It is an action movie.

Answer by Bmat at 7:42 AM on Nov. 5, 2012

• What is it rated? I don't think that sounds like a class appropriate film. I would have fallen asleep
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:13 AM on Nov. 5, 2012

• I let my at that time 10 yo and 8 yo watch it. I don't recall anything that I thought was inappropriate or would have bothered me about letting them watch it. There's a lot of action of course, and some violence, but compared to some movies, and even some TV shows, it wasn't too bad.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:14 AM on Nov. 5, 2012

• Not for her age. This is what the rating says and I linked the page from IMBD that explains what parts of the movie required that rating.

Motion Picture Rating (MPAA)
    Rated PG-13 for intense sequences of action and violence, and some partial nudity

Yes, I think it was inappropriate for that age group and especially without getting permission from parents.  I have to give my kid's school a signed permission slip for them to watch a PG movie.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:01 AM on Nov. 5, 2012

• Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but I can understand why other parents would. For a movie rated PG-13 and up I think teachers should get parental permission for a class that young.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:13 AM on Nov. 5, 2012

• Yes, that is DEFINATELY inappropriate for the teacher to pick that movie. Since it was PG 13 alone was bad enough let alone it was violent. I would go to the school about it.

cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 10:49 AM on Nov. 5, 2012

• Personally, it wouldn't bother me. My son has seen it and he loved it. That being said it was not a good choice for a movie shown at school and without parents permission.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:06 AM on Nov. 5, 2012

• Nope most 10 year olds have seen it.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:31 AM on Nov. 5, 2012