Question for those who do not believe in medical intervention due to religion

I know that at least JW's in particular, do not believe in blood transfusions, and have heard that they do not believe in putting any type of pharmaceutical in their bodies. Well for 11yrs now I have had type 1 diabetes, and with type 1 diabetes there is no cure, all you can do it treat the disease. In type 1 diabetics this is done with insulin (either with injections or with an insulin pump).

I have known all of these years that insulin is my life support. Without it my body would kill itself, end of story. This is not the type of diabetes that can be controlled with exercise and diet, you have to have medicine.

Do those who do not use medical advances due to religion use insulin to treat diabetes, or do you just let the person (usually a child) die a slow, painful death?

soccerchik8287

Asked by soccerchik8287 at 9:42 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not sure, I've know JW to take meds, just no human products can be put into their bodies.

Scientologists don't believe in medical treatment though... I've seen them die slow painful deaths because of that belief. it's sad really.

always makes me think of the little joke about the man stuck on his roof due to a flood, no food, no way out. A rescue boat comes "No thank you, God will save me" a rescue helicopter come to get him "No thank you, God will save me" Man dies because he's stranded with no food or water. Gets to heaven. Asks God why he didn't save him, God's answer "I sent a boat and a helicopter, what more did you want?"

God put the doctors and medicines here, I see nothing wrong in using them.

Anonymous

• They believe it's selfish to try and prevent dying. So no, I doubt a lot of them do that. I'm not JW but I do know one that I've talked to and even read some of their stuff..
    Anonymous

• I have not idea what this type of religion believes nor do I care however anyone who lets their child die slowly when they know of a cure is absoluty insane!
    Ihatelaundry

Answer by Ihatelaundry at 9:47 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• My grandmother was a JW.. but she still used insulin. I'm not sure if that was allowed or not as far as her religion goes.. but I do know without it she would have died long before she did.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:09 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I know different religions have their own beliefs and as adults we can make our own decisions but to let a child die a slow painful death that can be prevented is child abuse.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:55 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I've known JW's and as far as I could see they had no problem with doctors or medicine as long as the medicine didn't contain blood. There are some offshoot pentacostal branches out there who don't believe in medical care, medicine or saving their children's lives, which I think is awful, but there are pentacostals out there who believe in handling snakes around during church services, too, so what can you say about some people?
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:39 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I am not JW, but to heed a doctor's intervention practices is a personal choice. I do not: no transfusions, transplants, artificial life support or organ harvesting is to be done for me or to me.

My children were all treated by a doctor when necessary because as children they were not able to make those types of personal choices. Now they are - but they live a different lifestyle than I do.

My husband believes in doctors for everything!

snowgirl79

Answer by snowgirl79 at 1:11 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Also, I practice the growing and utilizing of Home Remedies for myself.

My husband seems interested and has - this year - used some of my {medicines}, so maybe he'll come around to my way of thinking yet. LOL!

snowgirl79

Answer by snowgirl79 at 1:14 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I beleive in homeopathic as long as it can work for you, but there are plenty of times that allopathic medicine is necessary. God helps us by giving doctors discernment and gifts to help us. Its when we value their thoughts above Gods healing and look to them for ultimate restoration thats the problem. Its called idolatry. I am guilty.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:40 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• as one of Jehovah's Witnesses I can assure you we do take medicine that Doctors prescribe, I have two sons with Aspergers Syndrom and ADHD, they are both on meds and my hubby had Cancer in 2006 and believe me he took his Chemo pills, IV Chemo and got Radiation..... each person takes or abstains from things according to their own thoughts..... it's the Bible that says to abstain from Blood and it doesn't say *Except for* it just says Abstain....

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 3:29 PM on Feb. 11, 2009