Should they be allowed to announce early...

election results? I mean seriously if you listen to the news whoever wins, Ohio, Florida, etc (East coast) settles the election then why would you even bother to vote in NM, UT, CA, etc (West Coast). Why even waste the money allowing any of those states to have an election? Why not just have the critical 6 or 7 states have an election and that be who wins?

Yes I'm a little cynical about this but if you listen to the news that 's all that matters. Here in OH we've had WAY to many visits/bills for visiting politicians.

Then if you would take the millions and millions of dollars that are spent on the ad campaigns and travel costs, etc and put that toward our debt it could possibly reduce the budget by a large amount.
Ok so I'm very tired of listening to all this and am seriously ready for it to be over.

baconbits

Asked by baconbits at 3:29 PM on Nov. 5, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• No. There are states who are 3 hours behind the east coast. People who think the election has be won will just go home. Leave it alone and let people vote. We can wait to find out who is winning. We've waited this long.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:07 PM on Nov. 5, 2012

• I've been of the opinion for quite a few elections that all results should be withheld until the following morning (meaning after polls have closed in Hawaii). It not only unfairly skews voting (my guy's going to lose anyway, why should I bother), it leads to bad speculation from the news teams to fill air time. Was anyone else here watching when CNN officially called the election for Gore?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:38 PM on Nov. 5, 2012

• I'm sure the networks are going to be rabid over being the first to call it. I remember 2000 all too well.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:16 PM on Nov. 5, 2012

• I see your point but there's a lot more on the ballot than just the presidential election so you should vote anyway... And NP is right, sometimes the prediction is off.. There have been some very famous moments throughout history when the election was called one way only to find out it actually went another...
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 3:48 PM on Nov. 5, 2012

• I think it'd make it a whole lot easier if I went to bed Tuesday night after watching THE VOICE and woke up the next morning and they announce so and so won/lost. Instead they disrupt my whole evening with all their possiblities of who's going to win and why and mess it up half the time.
    baconbits

Comment by baconbits (original poster) at 3:41 PM on Nov. 5, 2012

• For one thing those are preliminary results as the election has not been held in those states yet either, early voting, yes, but the election, no. Why would they make these announcements? To influence people not to vote? To try t convince people that their guy won? So why bother?
    I remember a story of an election. The paper posted that one candidate won, when in fact when all was said and done, the other guy won. Was it Dewey and FDR? I can't remember for sure.
    If someone can convince you not to vote they win. If you fall for their tactics, the country loses.
    Sure I am tired of the crap, but that is not going to stop me from going to the polls and voting and making sure that my vote is counted, no matter whether my guy wins or loses.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:46 PM on Nov. 5, 2012

• In Utah is an all republican state, LDS church tells you to be Republican. So yes there is no point in voting Dem here.
    If your one party but your state has always voted for the other party then I see no point in voting at all.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:46 PM on Nov. 5, 2012

• I don't know. I don't have an issue for them to speculate and all, I just wish they paid attention to the time lines so that they know when it's okay to call a state for any particular candidate. Election night is like the Super Bowl for political pundits. I can't fault them for getting excited sometimes.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:55 PM on Nov. 5, 2012