What is the difference in your own opinions?

What is the difference between "Freedom of Worship" and "Freedom of Religion". I have my own thoughts about this. I wonder what your thoughts and opinions are. No bashing wanted.

blondie805

Asked by blondie805 at 9:44 PM on Nov. 5, 2012 in Religious Debate

• Religion includes much more than worship.
    JTROX

Answer by JTROX at 8:52 AM on Nov. 17, 2012

• Worship is a physical or mental activity. A religion is a set of beliefs in a particular theology. People have the right to follow whatever religion they want or make up one of their own, but there are restrictions on how they can worship if it causes harm like death or abuse.

Atheists and other non-deists don't worship, but they still follow under the protection of the freedom of religion laws.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:32 PM on Nov. 5, 2012

• One is freedom of belief the other is freedom of practice. People are Free to believe whatever the heck they want. But Obviously there are limitations on the "Freedom of Worship" if said "worship" would cause harm to another living being or would violate the law.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:06 AM on Nov. 6, 2012

• I'm not really sure. To me, it doesn't matter as long as no religion is shoved down my throat. I believe in what I believe... nothing will change that. That being said, I guess it's respect.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:45 PM on Nov. 5, 2012

• I guess one is freedom to believe however you wish. The other is freedom to practice that belief.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:29 PM on Nov. 5, 2012

• anng covered it

I am free to practice my religion, no matter how badly those like Pat Robertson or Billy Graham believe I should be imprisoned for it. I am not free to demand payment for wrongdoing in blood, as is part of worship in my religion, because chopping bits off people and/or killing them is frowned upon in modern western society, no matter how much they've earned it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:41 PM on Nov. 5, 2012

• Freedom of religion includes freedom of worship. But religions tend to be much more than "worship". I also have the freedom to practice my religion, to raise my children within my religion and to form institutions and congregations for my religious group.
    Freedom of worship is just one little aspect of something bigger that's "freedom of religion"

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 8:04 AM on Nov. 6, 2012

• I agree with jeanclaudia. one is the freedom to believe in something, the other is the freedom to act on the things as laid out in your religion.
    LoveButtonKirk

Answer by LoveButtonKirk at 9:54 PM on Nov. 5, 2012

• I think it's a bit interchangeable but that said, freedom of worship is to honor your religion the way you follow/wish. Freedom of religion is the religion you choose. Worship though, can be many things from sacrificing a goat to your average Catholic mass.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:48 PM on Nov. 5, 2012

• To me, freedom of religion means the freedom to practice any religion you choose. Freedom of worship would then mean that you are free to worship within that religion however you wish. So it would allow you to go to church or not, to pray or not, to stand out under the trees and meditate or not. Although, I suppose they could also be somewhat interchangeable, since if you're free to worship as you wish, you'd technically be free to practice whatever religion you wanted.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:30 AM on Nov. 6, 2012