She's had a nasty sounding, lingering cough for over a month now

I am calling the doc this morning when they open to schedule an appt tomorrow. I feel like I shouldn't have waited this long, but her father thinks I'm a nervous nelly and that she doesn't need to go.

She's had no other symptoms except a low grade fever last week and now has horrible stinky breath. I have an uneasy feeling. Idk what it is but I'm worried.

He asked me to post this to see what you ladies think. She is 5, btw.

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 9:53 AM on Nov. 6, 2012 in Kids' Health

• Stinky breath could mean sinus problems (for one) so that along with the cough means to me that she needs to see the doctor. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 9:55 AM on Nov. 6, 2012

• Sinusitis with a slight case of bronchitis is what it sounds like to me (bronchitis caused from the sinus issues). Take her in so she can get on antibiotics that'll help clear it up. Otherwise it could get worse.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:57 AM on Nov. 6, 2012

• Descibe the cough. Wet, dry, hacking, gasping for air?
    Could be a cold or allergies
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:58 AM on Nov. 6, 2012

• You know I'm not a doctor but, I can tell you that my DD does occasionally just start coughing and gets a scratchy voice due to allergies. It seems like there are so many allergens in TX. Hopefully, it's just that.

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:58 AM on Nov. 6, 2012

• Whooping cough is also showing up now (doesn't matter if you are vaccinated or not). That cough can last 3 months. It is usually worse at night and nasty sounding.

Give her a ton of Vit C! It will help no matter what it is. How is she feeling? If she is acting fairly normally, I wouldn't be that concerned. Her body will fight it off.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:00 AM on Nov. 6, 2012

• I agree with feral and libras. Everyone in our house has allergies and I have a cough that I can't get rid of as well. I take an allergy pill every day, but it doesn't get rid of all of the congestion.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:02 AM on Nov. 6, 2012

• It started off wet but now is very dry sounding. I'm on hold for the nurse now. I don't give a rats ass what he thinks. I'm the momma and she is going to the doctor. Even if I make the 140 mile trip for nothing, I will at least know something.
    texasgurl33

Comment by texasgurl33 (original poster) at 10:03 AM on Nov. 6, 2012

• The cough wouldn't worry me as much as the stinky breath.
    If the cough started out wet and has gone dry, at least around here it means that it's on it's way out. But I'd take her in for the stinky breath.
    My youngest always gets what we call dragon breath when he has strep - no other "normal" symptoms of it. (DD at least has the courtesy of running 104 and vomiting when she has strep.)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:17 AM on Nov. 6, 2012

• It sounds like sinusitis and bronchitis to me. Without antibiotics that stuff can linger for quite some time. Could be allergies, but a call to the doc doesn't hurt.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:19 AM on Nov. 6, 2012

• I'm with you mama, when a cough lasts that long, with or without stinky breath, I'd take her in....even if it's allergies, it's not worth taking a chance that it's not, and the doctor may prescribe something so she doesn't have to just keep coughing!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:29 AM on Nov. 6, 2012