When do kids start diagramming sentences? Do you know what grade?

doodlebopfan

Asked by doodlebopfan at 2:13 PM on Nov. 6, 2012 in

• Are they doing that again? GOOD! They quit doig it when my DD was in school and I was very irritated about it. We learned in the second grade and it continued through the grades as a refresh.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:15 PM on Nov. 6, 2012

• My boys graduated in 2001 and 2004. Neither learned to diagram sentences in school. I taught them at home. My GD is in 4th grade they do not teach it. This year they have dropped cursive handwriting as well.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:17 PM on Nov. 6, 2012

• Ugh! I've been told that they don't do it anymore and I don't understand why! It makes grammar make sense! I may have to teach it at home. :) Thank you!
    doodlebopfan

Comment by doodlebopfan (original poster) at 2:23 PM on Nov. 6, 2012

• You know, I realize that they aren't teaching cursive because of computers, but how will our children learn to READ cursive? What about finding your parents' love letters, or notes from old military pen pals, or other manuscripts that have already been written and tucked in a drawer somewhere or even a museum? Are our children going to be staring at a letter written in cursive and say, "I don't know, looks Greek to me." :(
    doodlebopfan

Comment by doodlebopfan (original poster) at 2:26 PM on Nov. 6, 2012

• do they do it anymore? I did it in 7th grade and loved it!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:33 PM on Nov. 6, 2012

• I never diagrammed sentences and I graduated hs in 91! My mom taught me how though.

Answer by missanc at 2:58 PM on Nov. 6, 2012

• Think about this one. If they don't learn cursive how will they deveope their signature. They won't always use electronic signatures. Even with the bank app I use to deposit checks they had to have my signature on file to activate it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:51 PM on Nov. 6, 2012

• They learned parts of speech starting in 1st grade and now in 3rd grade they are identifying sentence type, structure and continuing to practice parts of speech. I am not sure if or when they will diagram but I feel they are teaching the kids sentence structure well. As far as cursive goes. My sons class touched on it last year and will this year as well. They are touching on it over a few years rather than focusing in it. My son did not participate last year because he is still working on print but I know the rest of his class did it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:00 PM on Nov. 6, 2012

• My daughter's school starts in 3rd grade.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 4:20 PM on Nov. 6, 2012

• I graduated high school in 1999, and never learned. There was one year, my junior I think, where we were supposed to learn. *MY* problem was that I never learned the parts of speech either, so diagramming made no sense to me. I CAN look at a sentence and tell you if it's wrong, but I can't tell you WHY.

As for cursive, my son is learning this year and he's in 3rd grade.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:25 PM on Nov. 6, 2012