Starting cereal...

I know everyone has different opinions on when you should start solids - my ped said 4mo, so please dont tell me i have to wait till 6. But will starting at like 3 1/2 months really make that big of a difference? I've noticed my twins are needing to eat more oz at each feeding and they seem really interested in what we eat. I tried giving them just a tiny bit of thin rice cereal today, and they took it rather easily, especially for their first time. I just want to make sure it wouldn't cause tummy problems for them - i mean.. i've read from a few places (including the what to expect the first year book) that if they dont push it out, their ready. Just want some input on mom's who have the experience.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you know what I am going through the same thing with my son he is 3 mons and 1 week old and I really think he is ready to start on baby cereal already he eats so much during the day and still wants more...I think everyone knows there baby more then anyone and if you think they are ready then do it and if when you do you nothice then haveing tummy problems then all you have to do is stop feeding it to them
    Love313

Answer by Love313 at 10:31 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Thank you! I tried giving them both some, and my one girl seemed to like it - she ate it up. Hey, i figured if she got more down her throat than all over her, she was doing a pretty darn good job at a first time =)
    Anonymous

• Mine started at 2 months with a tablespoon of rice cereal in her bottle. Pediatrician had me increase that amount a little each week. She is starting to eat diluted cereal with a spoon now and she is 3 1/2 months old. Every baby is different. I would ask your Dr., though to be sure.
    cristie1276

Answer by cristie1276 at 10:37 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• You're right, you will get lots of different opinions. Listen to the health experts and the research, not what other moms think/did. Virtually all health organizations say nothing but breastmilk or formula for the first 6 months.
    Unfortunately, many health care providers are not up to date in what they're telling parents, and many, many books are not up to date.

Based on recent research, the AAP and other health organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (NOT the first 4-6 months).
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:50 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Every baby is different, starting cereal now isn't going to hurt them. Mine were on cereal at one month.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:52 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• *shakes head*.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 11:32 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• The infant gut is open till six months. Which means the greatest risk of food allergies and other problems happens in those first six months. If you start cereal now, you run the risk of creating future problems...problems that may surface after you're dead and buried..including increased risk factors for Crohns disease and cancer.

Check out the info from the AAP and the World Health Organization. From there, it's between you and the woman in your mirror to weight the risks versus the rewards.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:35 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• go for it.. that is when i noticed.. my son was opening his mouth when i was eating.. so when he was 3.5 months old, i started him on cereal.. not only did it help him feel fuller..but it helped with his reflux.. we all have our reasons to do so or not to do so... but thats just it, its your baby and if a mom comes in and says she isnt then that is her choice... but if someone gives you crap about it.. guess what, still your choice..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 11:48 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• It can cause tummy issues, and it can contribute to allergies. I don't know if it will, but it definitely can. Personally, I would not chance it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:15 AM on Feb. 11, 2009