"Don't pray for me if you're for gay marriage; you won't be heard."

Who does God hear prayers from?

Would being at odds with God over one issue stop Him listening to prayers on other subjects?

(The title is a quote from a group post, not mine.)

Clairwil

Asked by Clairwil at 5:49 AM on Nov. 7, 2012 in Religious Debate

• Perhaps it depends which Jesus you pray to (see question below).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:11 AM on Nov. 7, 2012

• There must not be that many people up this early after the elections, lol.

I can only speak for myself of course, but my answer is that God does hear all prayer and see all people. That doesn't mean that He is pleased. Scripture says that unrighteousness cannot come before a Holy God, so that pretty much includes every person on the planet. The only way we can come before a Holy God is to be covered in the blood of Christ and for the love of Christ, we are to keep his commandments so His sacrifice isn't in vain.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 7:14 AM on Nov. 7, 2012

• i think God hears all prayer..hearing doesn't mean he's going to 'answer' according to your wishes, though. prayer is communication..not a grant-request.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:41 AM on Nov. 7, 2012

• G-d hears and welcomes all prayers. It doesn't mean He's a genie in a lamp and will automatically do what the "worthy" person of the moment demands. Prayer is meant for us to acknowledge G-d and form a relationship with Him and every time ANY person does that, He's there with open arms, always willing to be a part of that relationship.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 8:07 AM on Nov. 7, 2012

• I think talking to yourself or imaginary friends ultimately does no good at all.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 8:49 AM on Nov. 7, 2012

• My understanding is that the Abrahamic God hears all prayers. However, like others have said He's not some genie in a lamp or some sort of wish-granting ATM who doles out good things to all who ask.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:18 AM on Nov. 7, 2012

• i think the person who said that, has so much hate in their heart that if God doesnt hear the prayers of those for gay marriage then He probably isnt listening to her prayers either. i will never understand how those with so much hatred towards anyone think God is on their side.

and if God doesnt hear the prayers of those for gay marriage, then i assume God doesnt hear the prayers of pretty much everyone? being for gay marriage isnt a sin, technically. but divorce, over-eating, lying, greed, etc. is a sin SOOOOO God wouldnt hear anyone's prayers. the person who said that wasnt thinking...if they normally do.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:20 AM on Nov. 7, 2012

• Frankly whoever said that has no Idea which prayers "god listens to". To suggest tehy do implies the level of arrogance that will probably lead them to a very undesirabole "afterlife" If they were talking about their own ears then they were simply saying the prayers weren't "appreciated" from those that believe in gay marriage. In which case I wouldn't bother to waste my breath "praying" for such a bigoted Biddie to begin with.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:22 AM on Nov. 7, 2012

• I seem to recall God's love for everyone being unconditional. Soooo I am pretty sure that means he hears EVERYONES prayers, and loves us all equally. God is love... Not only for those who believe "this" or "that".
    I dont understand anyone who believes God has favorites, or shuns people for their actions. He loves us all, he may not love our actions and choices, but he loves us. That is why if you ask for forgiveness, he is there to freely forgive. His love is pure and freely given to ALL.
    Jesus didnt die for "some sins" or "some people".. God so loved THE WORLD, not straight people or those who believe only in traditional marriage.

Sorry for the vent, but when people use God to spread hate, it really upsets me. His message is love. Love thy neighbor, not only the ones who think like you!
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 11:21 AM on Nov. 7, 2012

• Not much love in the person who said this is there??? like the previous poster God's message is one of love....

Answer by older at 1:28 PM on Nov. 7, 2012