LACK OF MILK

I HAVE BEEN BF MY SON FOR FOUR MONTHS AND FOR SOME REASON FOR THE PAST WEEK I HAVE MAYBE FELT MY BREAST LET DOWN TWO OR THREE TIMES.
I WASNT GIVING HIM A BOTTLE, NOTHING WITH MY EATING LIFESTYLE HAS CHANGED. WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN? WHAT DO I DO?

mylovelyfamily

Asked by mylovelyfamily at 11:17 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try the supplement More Milk Plus. It's worked great for me! My supply dropped at 6 months when I got my period back.... and it helped bring it back up in a couple of days.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:20 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Honey it just happens. Happened to me way before 4 months. I cried and cried and my mum said what do you think there were Wet Nurses for back in the day. And within Native American tribes and such, otherwise all those poor babies would have died. Think of all the babies in the early settler days who died because of this. Thank goodness for formula and bottles. You keep nursing till it totally dries up and know you did a wonderful thing for as long as you could. Not really sure why it happens, but understand your concern.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 11:21 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I used to have a really strong let down. I still let down, but now it isn't as pronounced a feeling. Is there any reason to think that your supply has decreased or do you just not feel yourself letting down? If you have supply issues the best thing you can do is nurse as much as you can and drink lots of water. You can also eat oatmeal and take fenugreek. Good luck.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:23 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• You mean the letdown sensation has diminished?

Congratulations! You've regulated. It's fine and normal.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:29 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• MissHeidi does not know what she's talking about. It is not a common occurrence for women to just dry up out of the blue. There were wet nurses back in the day for children of women who were too "classy" to breastfeed and for babies with dead mothers. Not because there is an epidemic of women's milk just drying up for no apparent reason. Also, if there were alot of "babies in the early settler days who died because of this" (which I kind of doubt) it could most likely be attributed to poor nutrition and limited access to clean water. It is a fact that only 1-3% of women cannot exclusively breastfeed. If you are having a supply issue it can probably be dealt with fairly easily, especially since you have already established that your body is capable of producing milk.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:33 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• After a few months, your body learns to regulate milk production. You may also notice your breasts don't feel as full, and you may stop leaking milk. This is PERFECTLY NORMAL.

If your baby is producing 6 wet diapers a day, there is plenty of milk, and you have nothing to worry about.

It is very common to be alarmed when this happens if you've never been through it before, but it does not mean you are drying up!!

You can do this as a test ... but don't swear by it ... try to hand express some milk, does it come out?

Like I said, if it doesn't, don't freak. A pump will also not be a good indicator of how much milk you have. A baby has a very unique sucking pattern that draws out milk better than any pump, or mommy.

The proof is in the diapers, and the baby's overall happiness.

Fussing at the breast also does not always mean there isn't enough, try switching positions (side lying in the bed is a baby favorite).<
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 11:38 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Oh, and I agree that I would really like to know where MissHeidi gets her information because that sounds absolutely ridiculous to me.

Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 11:41 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Try not to worry--fluctuation in milk production is really common. I saw a marked decrease in milk around 6 months, and got it back up, but it plunges again easily if I'm not careful to drink a LOT of water and juices all day long. I also take fenugreek and drink "Mother's Milk" tea, both of which help. Finally, I do pump daily (I hate it, but I have to, so my son can have EBM at daycare), which keeps the supply steadier.

I also remember that around 4 months, my son--who was growing at an insane rate until then--finally slowed down with his 1 pound per week growth rate. Hence, his appetite let up a little. Has your baby's frequency of nursing slowed down at all? The body adjusts as the baby's needs change.
    Mamastheword

Answer by Mamastheword at 11:52 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• With the exception of the second poster, I agree with all that has been said. Sometimes I don't feel the let down sensation either. It's normal mama..keep giving your baby the good stuff!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:24 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Yup. Just because you don't FEEL the let down doesn't mean it's not happening. Keep up the good work!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:11 AM on Feb. 11, 2009