HOW DO I GET RID OF A FEVER???? Please help...DD has never been this sick...

DD is 15 months...last night she felt a lil warm but I didnt think anything of it. I put her to bed and around 2 am she woke up SCREAMING. I went over to her and I could feel her heat from 6 inches away. I picked her up and she was shaking, DH and I ran her to the ER. She had a temp of 101.5, they gave her tylenol, and then ten min later checked her again...it went up to 102.9. They said she just have a virus, but I m still freaking out. She's never really been this sick before, What do I do? How do I get this down FAST...my poor baby isnt her self at all, she wont even smile...

Mikayla_lynn

Asked by Mikayla_lynn at 11:20 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• keep Tylenol and Motrin in her! watch it if it goes over 103 taker her back!
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 11:21 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I've been giving her tylenol every three hours like the doc said but it doesnt seem to be helping. I know this isnt "serious" but Im freaking out over here
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 11:25 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Warm bath, NOT cold may help, my son used to run super high temps and they said to alternate tylenol and motrin every 2 hours but IDK if it is still recommended.
    Anonymous

• Take Tylenol on time, but most importantly take her clothes off! No warm blankets or PJ's. If possible a luke warm bath will do the trick, cold drinks, ice pops and keep her hydrated.
    krubalc

Answer by krubalc at 11:27 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Take a deep breath! I know its scary but in order to help her you have to be calm. The reality is, if the fever stays under 103 its best to let it run its course. Most viruses cannot tolerate high temperatures so your daughters body is actually attempting to get well faster by burning the fever out. The shaking was most likely shock, your daughter could easily have had mild shock from the fever and virus. In cases of shock keep her warm, keep her calm and dont let her sleep. The best remedy for shock I have ever used is bachs rescue remedy. It really really works. For the fever let it run its course, focus on getting the virus out of her. Try Sambuca at your local health food store, it has elderberry, echinaciea and bee propolis. Bee propolis is stronger than most antibiotics I have seen and it doesnt have bad side effects. Sambuca is a brand name and its made for kids. Hope I helped.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 11:29 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Ok don't lose it, this too will pass. Rotate Motring and Tylenol. Motring ever six hours and tylenol every four it is ok to do this. this totally needs to run its course and you will loose sleep (normal)
    If she is not well in 48 hours gotta see the DOC.... Lots of cool drinks (gatorade or pedialite (pops too)
    pepperannrocks

Answer by pepperannrocks at 12:09 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• My daughters have done this before as well, where they wake up shaking. It does not mean that she is in shock when she wakes up like that though. It could be that her fever warmed her up, and when you took her out of the covers the rooms temp could have felt colder to her due to the fever. So unless the doc told you she was in shock, I would not worry about that. I also know that Motrin is the best for fever control, be sure that you are giving her the right dosage too, and to keep ahead of the med. wearing off- I would give her her next dosage about 15 minutes before it is due to be given to her. As what others say as well- Lots of clear fluids, light clothes (Not naked, she could catch a chill!), and a warm bath. Hold her too if she is hurting, that will help bring her smile back! Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:56 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I just had this happen a few weeks ago. My daughters fever was getting 103. They still sent us home and told us to rotate Tyenol and Motrin every three hours. It is possible that tyenol won't work for your child. Come to find out with my daugther tyenol sucks and Motrin works better for her, but I only use the both when neither are working on there own. When you are doing the lukewarm bath (20 minutes) make sure you are keeping it warm because if she starts to shiver it will just make the fever go higher. Just remember keep her hydrated with clear fluids and light clothes. Good luck and hope your LO is better soon.
    SandraBeth

Answer by SandraBeth at 3:25 PM on Feb. 11, 2009