My 8 year old daughter is crying

My 8 year old daughter has starting crying for no reason especially at night. When it is bedtime she is crying for her father saying that she is misses him. He is home and are schedule has not changed. I am wondering if it could be hormones. She is big for her age and has started to get breast tissue. I am not knowing how to handle this. Could this just be a stage? She is open with me and tells me everything but there are no reasons behind this.

krazee71

Asked by krazee71 at 11:32 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• there could be reason's she is scared to tell you...I would talk to teachers see if there is anything going on at school. If not keep asking her.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 11:34 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I have an 8 year old daughter too, who was acting like this a few months ago. We were all busy but schedule had been the same, nothing had changed...except she had started to change. After noticing on a few episodes I began to give her more one on one attention, talking softer, getting little girlie things for her just to start preparing for "the talk".
    I know at eight is still young but we need to prepare our girls young, knowlege is power.
    If they know and recognize the changes its easier to grow up and move on. Good luck!
    krubalc

Answer by krubalc at 11:39 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I agree, could be time to step up the "talks". Remember, a one time talk will be just that - you'll talk to her once and she will never come to you again. The "talk" needs to be an ongoing conversation. Open up the gates by giving her copies of "The Care and Keeping of You" and "The Feelings Book" and letting her know that you will answer any questions she may have or just listen if she needs to talk.

http://www.amazon.com/Care-Keeping-You-American-Library/dp/1562476661/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234331899&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Feelings-Book-Keeping-Emotions-American/dp/1584855282/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:59 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Does she know anyone at school that has lost their Dad...fear of losing her Dad? My 9 yr. old is a mom's girl, especially at night time. And she can be a scared cat...at night.
    heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 1:15 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• maybe she has been molested, my cousin used to cry at night, at bed time, ask her? if she has been touched in a place where she shouldn't, maybe someone at school, a relative, visit recently?if its especially at bed time, and she knows? that with dad, she feels more protected?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:49 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Why don't you have daddy go in her room with you at night to say goodnight? Maybe she feels like she doesn't matter to him, if he is not spending quality time with her. During a quiet time of the day, sit down beside her and ask her what she is feeling, and let her know that you will be beside her and help her with anything going on in her life. Sometimes its something simple that the child feels, needs, or wants.
    bowdentribe

Answer by bowdentribe at 10:14 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Maybe her daddy needs to spend a little more one-on-one time with her. My son takes his nine-year old daughter on dates. Sometimes, they go out for breakfast on Saturday morning. One year she went to his company Christmas dinner with him, because Mom couldn't make it. The father-daughter relationship is very important to little girls.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:30 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Talk to her and see what is bothering her. Sometimes what we "think" we know...we dont. Ask her how you or dad can help. If she says she misses her dad, and you believe this is what is behind it....you might talk to your husband privately and ask him to put her to bed for a few nights or take her for a dad/daughter dinner (McDonalds) or write her a note and put in her lunch. She may be craving his attention. I agree...dad daughter relationship is important. I would look at this as an opportunity to encourage it!

We do have a diary on www.cjkidz.com website (CJKidz Products page) which would help your daughter journal her feelings. We also have the books mentioned above (under Margaret's favorite things).

Good luck!
    momjs
    momjs

Answer by momjs at 2:21 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I forgot to add the link for the books kaycee14 mentioned above.

http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom-20?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=6

This link also has other books your daughter might like.
    momjs

Answer by momjs at 3:04 PM on Feb. 11, 2009