Announcing your pregnancy.. Any negative comments or people?

My DH and I have told everyone but my mom. She is like a landmine.. She can go off with no warning, or stay calm then blow... With my first DD she was not supportive in the begining, and even nasty and negative. She came around and is a GREAT grandma to DD. dH and I are expectng #2, and have told everyone but her. Everyne has been sooooo excited, positive, happy and supportive. I just dont want to deal with negativity, but I need to tell her. Ugh... I tried to put a cute card into her suitcase before a trip last week... She never found it, and lost it. So I will just have to tell her.
How did you deal with the negativity? Especially since everyone else is so happy, just as DH and I are?

Mme.Langley

Asked by Mme.Langley at 6:27 PM on Nov. 7, 2012 in Pregnancy

• Yup. My MIL offered to pay for the abortion on my first pregnancy and then blamed me for getting pregnant and ruining her sons future, even went onto saying she witnessed me cheating on him and our DD wasnt his. On my 2nd pregnancy she tried to convince my husband to have me get another abortion then when that didnt work she actually convinced him our son wasnt his and he needed a DNA when he was born.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 7:01 PM on Nov. 7, 2012

• LOL at not seeing your attempt

I don't remember the reactions- these days I can't even remember what I'm doing.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:19 PM on Nov. 7, 2012

• I made hub tell his own mother about this one. She was completely negative with all the other ones. I think it helped that hub made it sound like we were getting a divorce, then BOOM "No, Mom, *wife*'s pregnant!"

I was seriously dreading hearing her reaction this time (5th baby), but after he told her, and she reacted very happily...it just turned my entire attitude completely around :D
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 9:45 PM on Nov. 7, 2012

• The first one, everyone but my mom was super excited. She doesn't react they way most normal people do but I think that is just b/c she has had a hard life. My second was when my first was only 6 months old so I got a lot of "what were you thinking." "you should have been on bc." 'I guess it's ok." "wow, just wow." "your going to hate it b/c they are close, and you can't handle it." . My third was when my second was 8 months old and then came the looks, and my favorite comment "what were you thinking! you said you were done having kids!!" but with him mostly looks. But through all this only my bestie was excited for me. To clarify these comments all came from DH's side, I was told later that they would hold conversations about me, I got told to get on bc right away, and for dh to get fixed asap. my mom was still "oh, good....congrats..." He is fixed now, and his side couldn't be happier I get told this often.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 9:10 AM on Nov. 8, 2012

• How did I handle the reaction? I just ignored all of them and talked to my bff and DH. I didn't want to be around anyone who was mean to me about it.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 9:13 AM on Nov. 8, 2012

• Reactions like that you just have to shrug off as being "just her". It has nothing to do with you or the baby! Congrats!!! Are you hoping for a boy this time, or another little girl???
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 11:56 AM on Nov. 8, 2012

• Thank you.I am hoping for another girl! I am a total girlie girl, so I love having my girl, so two would be so great.
    Mme.Langley

Comment by Mme.Langley (original poster) at 3:27 PM on Nov. 8, 2012

• Everyone was excited about my daughter when I told them I was pregnant with her. Except for my dad but thats because we barely ever talked. With my son, my mom was not exactly happy or supportive at first. We had moved 1200 miles away right before our daughter turned 2. So when I told her I was pregnant with my son, she said "great, another grandchild I will barely ever see. why should I be happy"? But she came around after a few months and I understand why she felt the way she did. I think my daughter was the most excited of all though :)
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 11:04 PM on Nov. 8, 2012