Worried,

So my MIL wants to watch my son over night, but Im a little worried about it. The first time we gave in and let her watch him was when he was 1mon old, and she snuck him pudding, which upset his belly, so after that I got a little mad, and couldn't trust her that well. But, I think we should wait becuz I havent been away from him more than a few hours, and I woory alot about him staying overnite somewhere, but I think the only way were going to get her to quit asking, and making me feel bad for giving her excuses every time, is to let her watch him. I dont know. Hes 8 mons. What do you moms think?

Jessica1991

Asked by Jessica1991 at 11:53 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sounds like my MIL. im not exactly comfortable with overnights and my daughter is almost one. i dont know how many times she has asked me to let her stay the night but finally after excuse after another i had to let her know that im not ready for my daughter stay overnight, and that once i'm fully comfortable with it ill definately let her know.

i said it very nicely and she completly understood and she hasn't asked since.
    stephany21

Answer by stephany21 at 12:49 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• OK for me NO WAY! My daughter now 8 and my son now 3 have never slept somewhere else. If my hubby and i want to go out, we always make sure we stop by and get them no matter what time it is. Now i know this is extreme, but i grew up with my aunt and i know for a fact kids should always be with their parents. No matter how much other people love them, a few hours if needed is ok. But just because they want to, no.
    I would rather have her take the baby during the day to do something fun together -
    krubalc

Answer by krubalc at 11:58 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• it is perfectly fine to let someone have your child over night, but if u don't trust her i wouldn't.
    Duskee

Answer by Duskee at 12:02 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I agree with Duskee--there's nothing wrong with leaving your baby with a TRUSTED adult overnight. Key word being TRUSTED. :) Kids can't always be with their parents...eventually an overnight separation is going to occur, and treating it like a big deal doesn't really serve anyone's interest.

I would definitely, though, have a very direct, assertive talk with your MIL about your expectations--if you're even willing to give her a second chance, which you understandably might not be. Explain that it's very important to you to keep your baby on a specific nutritional plan, so only the food you leave for him should be offered. If you find out that she didn't follow your directions again, I'd say she's blown it and should never expect to be alone with your son again.
    Mamastheword

Answer by Mamastheword at 12:15 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• well if you don't trust her over night with your son, then you need to tell her you don't like to be separated from him at night. Trust with your son and a babysitter (even if it's MIL) come first.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:43 AM on Feb. 11, 2009