How do you feel about homeschool?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Nov. 8, 2012 in

• I can see the benefits, if done properly with planning and such. However, the majority of those that I see homeschooling have NO business trying to educate their child. I've seen moms that are very militaristic in how they teach, I've seen lazy teaching, I've seen NO teaching. There is someone I know in real life that rants and whines about how corrupt and socialist schools are today, but gets pissed off at at her 7 year old because he won't learn (her words, she just can't teach).

While I admit that academics are important, there is more to an education that memorizing dates and names.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:49 AM on Nov. 8, 2012

• it depends on the child and school. I think that all children should go to either a private school or regular school once they are in jr. high so they have a chance to find a bunch of friends and interact with other people. Plus we always thought it was weird when we were in jr high and high school like oh they are home schooled.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Nov. 8, 2012

• I wouldn't do it. I'd be cheating my son. Just looked at his algebra homework tonight; he understands it incredibly well but to me it looks just like alphabet soup. He wants to go to Cal Tech, but he'd never make it if my husband and I were left to do the teaching. We don't have the ability or the knowledge.

I've no doubt there are some people who do really well with homeschooling. But I'm very honest with myself... I am NOT one of them.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:07 AM on Nov. 8, 2012

• I've seen cases where home schooling was great, particularly if the parents made sure their kids had hands-on experiences like trips to museums and theaters, and many opportunities to socialize with their peers. But I've also seen cases where home schooling was exhausting for parents and detrimental to children because of lazy teaching or no teaching whatsoever. I know of one mom who "home schooled" her daughter because she was tired of trying to make the girl show up for her classes, and in that situation, home schooling meant no schooling at all. Fortunately, children who are educated at home now have to pass annual tests to make sure they are keeping up with public school students, at least in my state. Whether or not to home school is a decision that can only be made after assessing your dedication and ability to teach, and then researching the programs available to you.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:07 AM on Nov. 8, 2012

• Not for me or my family.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 2:27 AM on Nov. 8, 2012

• I can see the benefits of it. My husband and I are seriously considering it for our daughter. But we're also considering public school as well. I think it depends on the child and the parents.
    alf2651

Answer by alf2651 at 4:38 AM on Nov. 8, 2012

• i am not diciplined to do it, but i think that it can be great for people who do it with a good balance of teaching and social time.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:25 AM on Nov. 8, 2012

• i don't have the discipline or patience for doing it myself. some do, and do well. others i've witnessed seem to be lacking..and i'm glad their kid is their kid, and not mine.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:47 AM on Nov. 8, 2012

• I think if you as a parent/s are not educated like a teacher. You should not home school. JMO.

Answer by louise2 at 7:20 AM on Nov. 8, 2012

• I think whatever works for your family, is just fine. It's none of my business what another chooses and why.

No, they don't need a degree. They aren't wanting to teach a room full of children that don't belong to them.

Yes, they do have friends.

There are so many options out there for home-schoolers. Homeschooling is not a 'one size fit all.' Just research a bit, and you will debunk your myths about it.

I suggest watching "Waiting for Superman" on Netflix.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:52 AM on Nov. 8, 2012