How do you feel about homeschool?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Nov. 8, 2012 in

• I can't homeschool but I have consider it but only with one of those online schools. I wont be able to do it because I work but for those that do it the right way with the right tools and research ect. I think it can be very beneficial for the parent and the child. I don't know if she will be going to private or public school but I will be doing alot of research before deciding on her education location. but also if you start off with one form of schooling doesn't mean can't change down the road. I have thought about it with her new daycare. the most important thing is my child and her well being and the right place for her.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:14 AM on Dec. 23, 2012

• Personally, I wouldn't do it. I don't have the patience & I think that my children need to get out and socialize. I also think that not everyone is qualified to home school.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:49 AM on Nov. 8, 2012

• As long as you are educated to teach your child yeah.... We don't need kids home being taught how to txt talk 4real lol
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 10:20 AM on Nov. 8, 2012

• I feel that a LOT of parents that home-school aren't qualified and as a result the children suffer. However IF a parent has the patience, the proper knowledge and can ensure their children are taught properly and with the required knowledge then way to go. Sadly, the reality is many parents that do home-school lack many, if not all, of the necessary skills

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:19 AM on Nov. 8, 2012

• "Now that I have grandkids, I would rather they be homeschooled, it seems there is just so much going on in public schools now, I would rather them not be exposed to all that."

Depending on where you are, the reality may be far different from your impressions. We had neighbors down the street who chose to enroll their daughter in a "homeschool charter" upon starting middle school because they['d heard there was bullying in the middle school. By the second semester, they put her into the middle school because she'd lost an entire grade level... in just one semester! She's doing really well now.

And there's less bullying in that middle school than there was in my junior high back in the late 70s. The good old days weren't always good!

Answer by gdiamante at 10:18 AM on Nov. 8, 2012

• My opinion is that you should raise your children how you see fit. If you aren't comfortable with leaving education in the hands of public or private schools then you do what you need to do for your kids. Nobody else's opinion really matters anyhow. It's not as though the kids don't need to test for grade levels.

FWIW, many universities have a more open mind when it comes to homeschooled kids.  From what I have read, on average they get higher test scores and are more prepared for college.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:37 AM on Nov. 8, 2012

• Friends with many who homeschool and considered it ourselves. Like everything it depends on the parents and the kids. Also depends on the support available in the area. We have a great homeschooling group in our area and they "trade" teaching with each other. I know one mom who is fluent in french and she trades with another who is a music teacher.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:16 AM on Nov. 8, 2012

• When my kids are growing up we were for public school, thought they needed that interaction,and to learn how to deal with different types of people. Now that I have grandkids, I would rather they be homeschooled, it seems there is just so much going on in public schools now, I would rather them not be exposed to all that. BUT it does depend on the parent, even more so than the child. The parent has to be educated and devoted. My dil homeschools and she does a great job. They are very involved with their church, they do a co-op there. It is very big church and most of the parents homeschool there, so they have alot of interaction with other kids, and they go on field trips together. Other parents I've seen just use homeschooling as an excuse to not send their kids to school.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 7:58 AM on Nov. 8, 2012

• I think whatever works for your family, is just fine. It's none of my business what another chooses and why.

No, they don't need a degree. They aren't wanting to teach a room full of children that don't belong to them.

Yes, they do have friends.

There are so many options out there for home-schoolers. Homeschooling is not a 'one size fit all.' Just research a bit, and you will debunk your myths about it.

I suggest watching "Waiting for Superman" on Netflix.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:52 AM on Nov. 8, 2012

• I think if you as a parent/s are not educated like a teacher. You should not home school. JMO.

Answer by louise2 at 7:20 AM on Nov. 8, 2012