Can I double her dose?

DD has a fever and it isnt going away. I rotate giving her tylenol and mortine every three hours but its not helping. Can I double what I am giving her? I am giving her a dropper full right now....

Mikayla_lynn

Asked by Mikayla_lynn at 12:14 AM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No, you can't double her dose. How long has it been?
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 12:20 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I took my toddler to the doc last week and he told me to give her motrin. He also emphasized that the fever won't go away for the next two to three days after giving the medicine, and that it's normal and not to be alarmed. Although if your baby's fever is high, call your doctor first.
    erlsk

Answer by erlsk at 12:20 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Have you tried giving her a warm bath?
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 12:21 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• thanks for you help...my mom told me to double her dose but I wasnt sure it was safe so I thought I would ask...also, am I giving her to much already? She is 15 months and her fever is 100 now
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 12:22 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I havent tried a warm bath yet cause she is asleep....I am going to try in the morning
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 12:25 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• It's possible that you're not giving her enough Tylenol, but you'll need to ask your doctor, because the dose is calculated by age and weight. My daughter has a high fever that started yesterday and I took her in to the doctor today because of it, and the doctor told me that if it doesn't drop by Friday morning that I should take her back in. I too am alternating Motrin and Tylenol. Other, non-medicinal ways that you can lower a fever include giving her a lukewarm (not cold) bath, making sure she's not overdressed, and drinking cool liquids (I've been giving mine Pedialyte freezer pops too).
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 12:26 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• The box should tell you how much to give your toddler. I believe for motrin, it's 1.875 ml if your baby is 15 months
    erlsk

Answer by erlsk at 12:26 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• If it's only 100, don't worry yourself. That's not even considered a fever, technically. Unless she's showing signs of being uncomfortable, just continue with what you are doing.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 12:30 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• 100 is NOT a fever that needs to be treated. As long as her fever is under 102, don't worry about the FEVER. A fever is her body's way of getting better. By taking it away, you are making it harder for her to get well. Would you send her out to play in the snow without a coat? Would you give her nothing but candy to eat? Would you delibertly make it harder for her to get well?

As long as she doesn't seem to be uncomfortable, don't give her pain meds to lower such a low fever. Keep it under 102.

NOTE: this number will go up to 102.5 when she is 18 months. That's the guideline for kids and adults.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:33 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Motrin is suppose to be given ever 6 hours, and tylenol every 4... so I am confused. 100 isn't much of a fever either.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:49 AM on Feb. 11, 2009