Lactating

When do you fully start lactating? I'm 34w1d, and a few mornings ago I woke up with discharge on my breasts, so I know I'm starting. When does it become full-blown?

KatieBatey

Asked by KatieBatey at 12:34 AM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It wont until after the baby is born. What you are producing now is colustrum which is the stuff the baby will eat until your milk comes in. That stuff is just overall so healthy and good for the baby. It can take anywhere from 2-7 days for your milk to actually come in once the baby is born though. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:39 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• it started a week b4 with me..then again i was leaking when iw as 4 months pregnant..... then when i had my DD it came in the next day. my milk
    KCsMom08

Answer by KCsMom08 at 12:41 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I am leaking as well, but it's not your milk..
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:51 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• it really depends... some say a week before, some say when the baby comes... for me, i started the day he was born...
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 1:13 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• A few days after the baby is born is when most people get mature milk. Anything before that is colostrum.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:03 AM on Feb. 11, 2009