Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Is it okay to heat my house with a kerosene heater with a newborn in the house?

She isn't here yet but my due date is sunday. I dont think she will be here by then because i'm not dilated any but I have been kinda worried about it. Will it be harmful for her?

Answer Question

Asked by Ashkay9412 at 10:15 AM on Nov. 8, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 2 (11 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • No more dangerous to baby than to the rest of you in the house. Place it carefully so it can't start a fire; no small enclosed places and no placement near something flammable. Turn it off when you go to sleep to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.

    Answer by gdiamante at 10:22 AM on Nov. 8, 2012

  • Are there any fumes emitted?

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:41 AM on Nov. 8, 2012

  • Call and ask your pediatrician, the fire department, or police department. Get online and do some research. I have never used such chemicals around my family, but know a few people who have and they were warned about the dangers involved with carbon monoxide; the silent killer. The fumes are toxic for you and your infant. It is a myth that you can leave a window slightly ajar to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.

    Answer by Hsmom1966 at 11:29 AM on Nov. 8, 2012


    Answer by khedy at 12:32 PM on Nov. 8, 2012

  • thank you all! I have been very concerned about it. I know propane can be harmful so I was wondering about kerosene. it has a smell to it and i am kind of uncomfortable about it. we are sharing a place with someone and they bought the heater. i dont want any harm done to my baby!!!

    Comment by Ashkay9412 (original poster) at 12:50 PM on Nov. 8, 2012

  • i used one 2 heat my house when my 1st son was born n no i don't believe its a good idea!!! it gave my son breathing problems...

    Answer by tick2012 at 4:35 PM on Nov. 8, 2012

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.