I think I just got dumber.

I'm sitting here watching GMA, glance up and see in the ticker across the bottom: Chronic Leukemia linked to radiation exposure

...............

Umm, DUH!?!? Guess I'll have to go find the article and read it now to find out the rest of the story.

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 11:34 AM on Nov. 8, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• "Chronic"??? Yeah, I thought if someone has Leukemia, they have Leukemia. It doesn't just come & go.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:37 AM on Nov. 8, 2012

• Leukemia is one of those things, that if I had it, Id think it was chronic AND acute!!! It doesn't exactly just come and go, but while you have it you can be some damn miserably sick with it, I'd feel like I had an acute sickness.... but maybe that's just me.... :)
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 11:58 AM on Nov. 8, 2012

• There is chronic leukemia. I guess I'm with the OP that it's sort of "duh" that it's linked to radiation exposure.

Having said that, I haven't read the full article. If I remember correctly, there used to be some thought that chronic myelogenous leukemia was, perhaps, a genetic thing so maybe the ticker was announcing that there was another cause?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 12:15 PM on Nov. 8, 2012

• There is a chronic leukemia. The doctors originally thought I could have it but it turned out to be SLE
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 1:43 PM on Nov. 8, 2012

• I can't find the article the ticker was referring to.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 1:53 PM on Nov. 8, 2012

• There are both chronic and acute forms of leukemia. From what I understand the acute forms tend to progress more rapidly than the chronic forms. And I don't think anyone really knows what exactly causes the types of mutations that result in leukemia... but people are trying to narrow it down. I haven't heard of this particular study, but I'm not really all that current on it. Here is a link to some basic info on the different forms of leukemia (go to the "More to Explore" sections at the bottom of each main disease page to get tons of details if you want).

Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:27 PM on Nov. 8, 2012

• Thank you Sebbiemama. I guess it seemed like a no-brainer to me that chronic ANYTHING would lead to more problems.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 11:56 PM on Nov. 8, 2012

• Yeah, the way most people use the word "chronic" is a little different than the ways that some very specific specialists use it. And that brief title does sound kinda dumb. But when you think about it, there are different mutations and issue involved in causing each specific type of leukemia. AND there are different types of radiation exposure - some known to be harmful, some thought to be mostly benign, and some in between. I can definitely imagine a useful and interesting study that looks at a narrow range of all these variables.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 5:35 PM on Nov. 9, 2012