This is a fair amount?

Is $50/week a fair amount to pay a teenager to watch a 4 year old M-F from 3pm-5pm? They wouldn't be alone either, my mother works from home and they'd be sitting at her house but she can't keep a good eye on him while she's working, so basically I just need someone to be there to keep him out of trouble and entertain him for a couple hours when he gets out of school.

Asked by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on Nov. 8, 2012 in Money & Work

• Minimum wage is $8/hr here but I figured since they wouldn't be doing much or have any huge responsibilities (such as feeding, bathing, etc) plus they're not even alone it would be ok?

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:28 PM on Nov. 8, 2012

• Sounds fair to me, try it out and see if you get any takers. You can check the rates in your area by going onto a site like and looking up "mother's helper"--that's what they call someone who watches a child while a responsible adult is in the house.

Answer by Ballad at 4:31 PM on Nov. 8, 2012

• It seems like a good amount.

Answer by Dardenella at 4:32 PM on Nov. 8, 2012

• yes

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:32 PM on Nov. 8, 2012

• That sounds like a reasonable amount

Answer by adnilm at 4:34 PM on Nov. 8, 2012

• Sounds fair to me

Answer by DJDNY at 4:35 PM on Nov. 8, 2012

• If there is another adult there then I think that's a fair price. It sounds like more of a 'mother's helper' kind of thing which I wouldn't pay that person as much as a babysitter that IS the adult supervision.

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:35 PM on Nov. 8, 2012

• It's on the low side... it's only $5/hour. That would be ok if it were a relative but it would be low for this area.

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:47 PM on Nov. 8, 2012

• I think any 13-15yo would be happy to get $50 a week for that little bit of work, hope you get someone responsible and fun for your son :)

Answer by DreainCO at 5:05 PM on Nov. 8, 2012