Why do I need to get a new car seat after a car accident?

It was a minor accident, nobody was hurt. The car was hit in the front left side, my son was in the back on the right side. He didn't even flinch when the car bumped into us. Nothing is broken on the (toddler/big kid) car seat, all the straps and buckles work. We didn't crash hard enough to have any real pressure put on any of the straps or buckles. I will get a new one if I have to, but why do I need to? Just curious about the reasoning behind this, probably something I'm not thinking of.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:52 PM on Nov. 8, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Because even at low speed impacts it can cause stress to the plastic of the car seat which can lead to fractures and hairline cracks. This reduces the effectiveness of the carseat in any future collisions.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:01 PM on Nov. 8, 2012

• If the other driver was at fault you may be able to include it in your claim. I have heard it done.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:38 PM on Nov. 8, 2012

• The insurance should cover it. When we were in our car accident, we just submitted the receipts for the new car seats to the insurance company and they reimbursed us. They even paid for Britax Frontier 85 seats ($250 each).
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:00 PM on Nov. 8, 2012

• Hmm. Okay, makes sense. Thank you!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:03 PM on Nov. 8, 2012

• But really in that case, I think more damage has been done transferring it between vehicles! But I will suck it up and spend the $50 for the safety of my child.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:04 PM on Nov. 8, 2012

• Who told you you had to?

Answer by louise2 at 8:38 PM on Nov. 8, 2012

• You should always get a new car seat even if no one was hurt, there can be damage that you can't see and a bigger crash can cause serious harm to your child. Just get a new one, better safe then sorry as I always say.
    Lovingmykids612

Answer by Lovingmykids612 at 10:15 PM on Nov. 8, 2012

• Yeah the insurance did say it would be covered so not a big deal, I just didn't know what the purpose of replacing it was.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:33 AM on Nov. 9, 2012

• If the insurance said they would pay for it why get the cheap seat?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 10:52 PM on Nov. 9, 2012

• Not getting the cheap seat, he is big enough for a booster seat now so I'll be getting one of those, and they just aren't as expensive. He still fit well into the toddler seat he had, but no sense in buying another one of those just to use for a few more months vs. just getting a booster he can use for a few more years.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:39 AM on Nov. 10, 2012