My sil is nuts

My DH's family has always been F-ing nuts and drama but this past year myself and DH started therapy and working on some major changes - the drama of his family has been something HE has refused to deal with - his sister text him, after months of not talking to him for him calling her out for a sexting relationship she told him about, he refuses to respond, now he has started the horrible F U texts from her -I wish I could take his pain away, his family - all of them- are SO toxic .. poor honey

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 11:11 PM on Nov. 8, 2012 in Relationships

• Its horrible what he has to go through, but if he can just stick to it.. refuse to respond in any way.. there might be other people in the family (a cousin, a cousin's spouse, etc) who feels the exact same way but just hasn't had the guts and fortitude to stand up to these people. With your DH's example, they might come along and join him. Ive seen it happen in another family Im close to. Its like one person held their ground and suddenly a couple of others woke up and said, "you're right, these people are crazy and Im not taking it anymore". If that could happen, DH would have some family on his side, and extended family to be close to which is always a nice thing... GL.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 2:08 PM on Nov. 9, 2012

• Have you considered changing the cell phone number and not giving it out to anyone toxic or anyone connected to anyone toxic?

Remember, in-law is a suffix meaning "to be ignored" and siblings are merely people you got stuck with. Sometimes you're lucky and get good ones.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:14 PM on Nov. 8, 2012

• Could he not just change his number, or call his phone company and block her ability to text him?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 11:13 PM on Nov. 8, 2012

• Yeah he could - but in reality that means changing it for 50 others also
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 11:15 PM on Nov. 8, 2012

• He could block her calls at least for now
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:16 PM on Nov. 8, 2012

• he refuses to respond- which i know drives HER nuts but i think he's finally "done" dealing with their on going drama
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 11:18 PM on Nov. 8, 2012

• I would try to get him to not even open the texts. Just erase them and move on. It can be hard not to respond, but logically everyone knows that nothing good will come of reading them and feeding into the problem even more. Maybe the temptation and irritation on his part would be easier if he just didn't even read them.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:35 PM on Nov. 8, 2012

• I had SIL problems for years....tell him to be strong. It's very hard for them to turn their backs on their nuclear family. He needs to embrace the new family he has with you and make that the priority...it's hard though...
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:49 PM on Nov. 8, 2012

• Block the number
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:06 AM on Nov. 9, 2012

• Block the number
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 8:45 PM on Nov. 10, 2012