Ged (WARNING SWEARING)

SO I told some friends at work that I don't have a ged or a high school diploma,and that I basically have a fifth grade education. I can add and subtract that's it. I don't know my times tables by heart.
That's all I know in that department. I don't know my history,or proper grammar. I couldn't tell you what an adjective is,or any of those other things. I have a bad memory and forget what I've learned and even don't seem to grasp what is being taught to me. I really do blame a big part of that on my mother,she use to strangle me when I was a child,and I always passed out. It was a scary feeling I always came out of it real shaky and sometimes wouldn't know what happened till my brain finally processed it. I feel like I'm totally fucked. People say go take the GED,I took a practice test and failed miserably. I'm too embarrassed to let people see how dumb I really am. How do I avoid all this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Nov. 9, 2012 in

• First, you don't appear dumb to me. You failed a test where you had no knowledge on the subjects because you've never been taught. It would be like me taking a test on quantum physics; of COURSE I would fail. :)

So, start from the ground up. Call colleges and speak to a guidance counselor. Ask if they have remedial courses you could take. Explain your situation to them. Call the high school and see if there are tutoring programs for adults.

You may also have some cognitive impairment from lack of oxygen when your mother abused you. A doctor can help you determine your best course of action there.

You write very well, you explain your situation clearly and concisely and you are, without a doubt, teachable. Go open up a bunch of new horizons!
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:24 AM on Nov. 9, 2012

• Aw your sweet,thank you.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:31 AM on Nov. 9, 2012

• You are no dumb bunny! Go see a doctor, he will be able to direct you. Then you can use the services of your local DVR (Department of Vocational Rehab) to help you get education and training...paid for by the state.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 9:32 AM on Nov. 9, 2012

• i was PULLED out of school when i was in 3d grade. my father kept telling me i didn't need an education that it was just a stupid piece of paper. i am about to turn 34 in dec and i got my ged when my oldest was in kindergarden. i started going to a study hall classes in 2001. i got the ged in 07. math was my weakest subject
    trust me, your not stupid. it just takes time and your not going to pass the first time. if you live near younstown ohio there's a group called A.B.L.E. that's what i went through.

above all just take relaxing breaths, and don't stress so much about it. my oldest helped me learn stuff, and now all three of the girls are teaching me new stuff in math everyday. the library has books based on the ged tests. they helped me alot too.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 9:42 AM on Nov. 9, 2012

• You're not dumb. Do what Prissy said...start from the ground up. I'm really tired so I'm just going to second everything she said.

I am going to say screw your mother, though, and I'm sorry you had to go through that.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 9:43 AM on Nov. 9, 2012

• You don't present yourself as dumb and you have a job. That's more than a lot of people with higher educations can say for themselves.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:19 AM on Nov. 9, 2012

• You don't sound stupid at all. You need to find GED classes. You haven't had the chance to learn what you need to get a GED, so you will need to be taught.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:33 AM on Nov. 9, 2012

• It doesn't appear to me that you are stupid. Uneducated, sure, but not stupid. As Mrs_Prissy said, start from the ground up. I also agree with her on checking to see if you have any brain damage from your mother's abuse. If she was strangling you on a regular basis to the point that you passed out, you were being deprived of oxygen, and that can cause learning issues as well. But even if that is the case, don't let that get you down. Knowing that it's an issue means you are aware and you can learn skills to work around it.

Do not continue to call yourself stupid or dumb. You can do this. It takes time, but you can do it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:17 AM on Nov. 9, 2012

• This post sounds more intelligent then a lot of the others on here!!

Ok, you may have failed a practice test, but you didn't take any of the classes to prepare for it! Take the prep classes and THEN take the test. I graduated high school with honors, but if I was given a test on algebra today I 'd fail it because it's been years since I reviewed the material! You can do it!! Then come back here and brag, and be an inspiration to others!

Even if you do not pursue further education for yourself, make sure you make every effort to help your children succeed! If you can't help them with homework, then make sure you take the extra steps to get them tutored, and find the help they need.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:40 PM on Nov. 9, 2012

• I think you should go down to your local community college and they have classes for this. GL!
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:41 PM on Nov. 9, 2012