Would you make your kids kiss Grandma?

Do you make your kids kiss Grandma, Aunt, etc? I'm sure there are some relatives who get offended if your kid doesn't give them a kiss when they visit, but I wouldn't make my kid kiss anyone they didn't want to - even if it was my mom!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i wouldnt MAKE them but i would encourage it
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 1:44 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• no gma or aunt will ask for a kiss from my son and if he feels like it he will. but if he doesnt they dont take it to heart
    pinkanfgrl

Answer by pinkanfgrl at 1:45 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• my son does on his own... my nephew however is different... he told my gma " he doesn't like old people"....that hurt her feelings so bad... can u believe that...lol
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 1:45 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Don't force them but just tell them to give Maw Maw a kiss when shes asks, if they don't want to then who cares...
    G-MansMama

Answer by G-MansMama at 1:46 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• My son at 10 now realizes that people are not here on earth forever so he loves to kiss grandma and poke her belly and just be a clown for her. She has been there for us since day one and I think in the beginning I kinda "trained" him ....."Grandmas leaving, give her a kiss", ( she lives right next door) but now he just does it on his own. He also opens the door for her wherever we go.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 1:57 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I wouldn't make them kiss anyone. Do you really want to start the precedent that they have to give physical signs of affection to people because "it's expected" because "it will hurt their feelings if you don't", or because "they love you, and don't you want them to know you love them, too?"

You shouldn't allow them to be mean or hurtful to their relative, but you should teach them that this is their body (even just a kiss), and they have the right to set their boundaries for where they're comfortable - and that includes NOT kissing someone if they don't want to.

btw - sometimes there's a reason to not want to kiss someone -even relatives. My grandfather was a pedophile who molested me, should I have had to kiss him because he was a relative, even when other people didn't know what he was doing?
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:30 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• When my kids were little, I would say "so and so is leaving. Would you like to give them a kiss?"

This way, the choice was theirs. If they didn't want to, no big deal, no pressure to do it. If they said yes, fine - they gave them a kiss. If they said no - then I would say, no problem. How about you just go say goodbye to them. We can walk them out to their car and wave as they go,( or whatever...)

This taught them manners and they didn't totally disregard people, but they still got the message re-enforced that their bodies were their own, and they have the right to set their own personal space boundaries and expect it to be respected.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:34 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I at least make them give her a hug.kissing her is uo to them.
    LND

Answer by LND at 8:48 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• When my kids were little , I would say give grandpa and grandma hug
    They are 12 AND 10, So they usually give them hugs when they say goodbye
    Goldenbrowny

Answer by Goldenbrowny at 9:18 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Usually I say give Grandma hugs and then she might ask for a kiss. if they give her one ok but if not we don't freak out. I agree that if a child doesn't want to kiss someone they shouldn't be forced. Part of it having to do with sailorwifemom's answer. What if, God forbid, there was something more going on and that's why the child doesn't want to kiss a certain adult? But other than that I just don't agree with the forced kiss. I wouldn't want anyone telling me who to kiss!
    Anonymous