What is proper?

Should the person having Thanksgiving send out a txt or email or phone call to tell each family member that they are having Thanksgiving? Should I ask them if they are if they could bring a salad or desert, or just wait for a response to whether they are coming? Should I let them OFFER to bring something or say what they should bring?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Nov. 9, 2012 in Relationships

• If it's family, I assume you know who is good at what. Just assign them things to bring. Say. "Aunt Agatha, could you bring the rolls, everyone loves your rolls so much"
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 10:12 AM on Nov. 9, 2012

• For an occasion like Thanksgiving, I would call each family and invite them, and I think it's perfectly fine to ask them to bring a dish, drinks, or something to contribute. I don't think you have to wait for them to offer.

When you have an event like a birthday party, shower, or something where people are expected to bring a gift, it's inappropriate to ask, but I think it's perfectly fine if people offer to help to say "yes thank you!"

To be honest, when I'm invited to someone else's house I always ask the hostess what she wants me to bring.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:14 AM on Nov. 9, 2012

• It ' s the type of family you have that decides. My mom sent my " official" invite via FB. Well spend the next cew wesks messaging back and forth anout the menu. I never read e mail and hate talking on the phone.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:21 AM on Nov. 9, 2012

• Call it a potluck thanksgiving :) that way they know they bring something....I always do cranberry chutney and the potatoes...been that way for years :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:26 AM on Nov. 9, 2012

• My mom just asks that we bring a side and a dessert. It's nice to be able to choose what we want to make - and then we reply all to let everyone else know what we've decided so there won't be 4 green bean casseroles! :)

Answer by missanc at 12:39 PM on Nov. 9, 2012

• Depends on how you all do it. some families say bring something. Some expect the person doing the dinner to buy and cook everything.
    I thing whoever is doing thanksgiving this year should do it all.

Answer by louise2 at 2:40 PM on Nov. 9, 2012

• I would send out emails but does everyone in your family use email? Phone calls would work best with some people. I would make a list of the menu and then call people and ask them to bring certain dishes
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 4:17 PM on Nov. 9, 2012

• A list of what you are making is a great idea. You can add at the end to let you know if they want to bring something. Or send out a list of general dishes you would like volunteers for and let them respond.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:14 AM on Nov. 10, 2012

• We are all expected to bring our best dishes at all family functions and it works out great.
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 12:34 AM on Nov. 11, 2012

• I don't think there is really a right or wrong way to invite, just depends on the family. What normally happens at thanksgiving if its at someone else's house, like last year did someone else host and if so did you bring anything? Were you told what to bring or asked to bring whatever you liked. I would probably go off that, if not just tell people what your planning on cooking yourself then they can decide what they would like to add, most people will prob ask you what they should bring, so just have a list of a few things you could suggest to them.

Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 12:51 AM on Nov. 11, 2012