Is the change permanent?

Was reading this, and wondering.  Several major religious organizations, like Billy Graham's ministry, and several very outspoken evangelical politicians, with their own ties to extremist groups, like Santorum, gave their endorsement to Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan, despite belonging to organizations which openly preached that Mormism was a cult, that Catholicism was not Christian, and that anything non-Protestant/non-Baptist/non-evangelical was a lie that would send people to Hell if they didn't repent and convert.  Their dislike of Obama wa so strong, they publicly denounced a tenet of their previous belief system, and enthusiastically encouraged others to do the same.

Now that Romney didn't win, what happens next?  Will they continue to preach that Mormons and Catholics are ok, revise their Sunday school curriculum to take those faiths off the prosteltizing target list, and focus their indignation somewhere else?  Will they go back to the beliefs they insisted on right up until the summer of 2012, and hope everyone forgets everything they said in the fall?

This is a pretty hefty doctrinal change for a large portion of Christianity, but the gravity of it seems to have been swept under the rug in the rush to partisanship.  The election is over.  Now what?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 6:54 PM on Nov. 9, 2012 in Religious Debate

• Possibility of a push-back to blaming Mormonism for losing the election.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:57 PM on Nov. 9, 2012

• I have wondered the same thing. I guess we will just have to see.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 6:57 PM on Nov. 9, 2012

• Well, I'm betting they were all for Romney because he was closer to what they are all about than Obama is. I don't see it so much as them throwing everything out the window to endorse him, as them picking the most conservative guy of the two.
    Having grown up around those people- I think the fact he's Mormon WAS probably an issue- but one they were willing to overlook based on the choices
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:01 PM on Nov. 9, 2012

• LOL.....hypocrites.
    Anyone surprised? Does it matter what they do-they will remain the hypocrites they always have been.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:09 PM on Nov. 9, 2012

• As a Southern Baptist, we don't have a written doctrine so it's not an issue. I chose Romney because his actions line up more closely with my beliefs than Obama's. Do I think he has it right on religion? No. But politically he holds beliefs much closer to mine than Obama. How does that make me a hypocrite to vote based on political views rather than religious?
    I imagine it's the same with evangelical leaders.

Answer by missanc at 7:29 PM on Nov. 9, 2012

• I imagine it's the same with evangelical leaders.

No, evangelical leaders changed their actual doctrine. Billy Graham deleted the section of his website describing Mormonism as a cult.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 7:30 PM on Nov. 9, 2012

• Billy Graham is also practically dead. i don' think there's any permanency in that direction, kwim?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:17 PM on Nov. 9, 2012

• i wouldnt be surprised if Graham and those types write it off as something they thought God wanted them to do to "save" America. maybe they will go with "the devil made me do it" and claim they thought it was God, but it was actually Satan that encouraged them to support a non-Protestant candidate.

honestly, i was surprised Graham was still alive when i saw awhile back that he had met w/ Romney and taken LDS off his website's cult list. i guess politics are more important than religious beliefs when you're trying to get the country to go the way you think it should go.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:24 PM on Nov. 9, 2012

• extremist groups really????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Nov. 10, 2012

• extremist groups really????

The AFA is listed as a hate group. Would you prefer that term instead?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 2:02 AM on Nov. 10, 2012