Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Does a man you lived with for 14 years have any rights to your properity if you ask hime to leave?

Living with a man who has become lazy. Doesn't pay taxes or house insurance, doesn't do anything around the house anymore. I want him gone, what's the best way to make this happen?


Asked by NeedOut1075 at 11:20 AM on Nov. 10, 2012 in Relationships

Level 4 (29 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • It may depend on the state you live in, and some other factors. Did he contribute to the house at all financially during the years you were together? Some states have common law marriage. Did you own everything before he moved in?

    I'd consult a lawyer (many do free consultations) to make sure you're safe. Either way, if you're not happy it's worth having him gone.

    Answer by ohwrite at 11:26 AM on Nov. 10, 2012

  • I believe the courts consider it joint property and will divide it accordingly. They will also divide the amount owed. If taxes have not been paid thy may require property to be sold to pay for the taxes owed. You might wish to ask an attorney about your particular case and state laws.

    Answer by Dardenella at 11:56 AM on Nov. 10, 2012

  • Not married? Depends on who owns the house? If it is your house? Just give him 30 days to get out. Then change the locks.

    Answer by louise2 at 12:17 PM on Nov. 10, 2012

  • Well depends on his intelligence level too- would he think he had rights to anything? Some people would just be like- oh no! I have to leave?

    Get a lawyer if you think he'd get a lawyer.

    Answer by staciandababy at 12:52 PM on Nov. 10, 2012

  • Depends on the state and the laws in that state. Texas is a community property state & if he can prove he contributed to the buying and maintaining the home.

    Answer by SassySue123 at 11:29 AM on Nov. 10, 2012

  • In some states there is a thing called Common Law Marriage if you live with someone for 10 years then your assests belong to both. Like the others here have said, it depends on what state you live in.

    Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:36 AM on Nov. 10, 2012

  • even in texas the property law is anything you had prior to the marriage is still yours. here (tx) the bigger problem is actually getting someone to leave an established residence (if he refused to leave you would have to file eviction papers). are you expecting resistance, revenge, etc.?

    Answer by figaro8895 at 4:26 PM on Nov. 10, 2012

  • Depends on the state you live in. Call the bar association in your state and ask for a Family Law attorney. It will cost $25. Good luck to you

    Answer by booklover545 at 9:13 PM on Nov. 10, 2012

  • I"d say talk to an attorney also.

    Answer by Sarah961 at 11:59 PM on Nov. 10, 2012